Chapter 1 Quiet Sounds

May 1, Year 20XX during a late afternoon.

A war broke out between two men, both unwilling to give up what they had or what they had left.

The first man was power hungry. He promised his army, and his army promised him. If he wanted it he got it, there wasn't any thought of hesitation about his orders. His army obeyed without question he was their saviour.

With posters and flyers scattered along the city's side with propaganda. Words and other slogans the Captain made. There was one quote that he forced everyone to say every single morning.

'Stand strong, stay strong, all comrades are equal as we march on with our Captain'

They all knew it by heart, if you didn't remember you were deemed to be an enemy of the state and then exterminated. Then the next day nobody would ask why, because everyone knew why. You weren't loyal enough to the people. Your comrades, your family. The army itself. You were nothing but the dry sandy dirt among them.

The people of the city had no other choice but to pack their bags and run out the town while they could until it was too late. He was an evil man. But there was hope on the other side, a fragment of light under the dark endless tunnel.

On an early morning a truck driver drove by the many now, abandoned neighbourhoods. They picked up people along the way, forcing them against their will to join his army. Packing up the people in the trucks, with gun threats, treating them less like human beings and more like cattle being led to the slaughter. They were forced not to talk nor ask questions until they parked into the military base, where instructions will be conducted.

By the end of the day they loaded up to twenty new people onto the truck, but it was up against their will. None of them wanted to go. The drive to the base was quiet as the two guards had their guns at stand by. All of the newly drafted recruits were pushed and shoved around like clueless farm animals, next they separated them in smaller groups.

Middle aged men and women gathered in groups just outside the base. Young and old, it didn't matter they would pick you up regardless and drag you down with them.

I leaned beside one of the military trucks. I didn't want to act nervous, so I picked at the dust and dirt between my nails. Everyone seemed so talkative, some were confused but some knew what would happen next. I sighed, letting out a shaken breath of air that I didn't realize I was holding onto. Those men for sure made their message across, I looked at the people's faces again fearing running throughout their expressions.

It made my heart beat harder against my already shaken body. I crossed my arms over my chest in a closed posture. I fixed my cap to get a better view of someone walking towards me.

Just great

"What?" I asked, making them jump slightly at my voice. They looked rather timid, young as well, possibly my age or maybe a little older I wasn't sure. But they were taller than me.

"Hey what's your name?" They simply asked with a warm smile, giving me a small wave. That's when I felt bad for being rude to them just seconds ago. I turned my head away in embarrassment, bringing my cap to my face to block it.

"Skittles..." I dryly responded, I hated my name but hey I didn't ask to be named that. I was waiting for them to laugh or something but no. They told me their name, then where they came from. Even told me about their parents and younger siblings that live far from here.

"I've been living on my own my whole life. Been on the run, here and there... You know how it is. Just- that stuff, what about you?"

They asked me, while joining me next to the truck. I made eye contact with them. Taking a moment to reflect on what I wanted to truly say. "Not much, been living with my parents... They are farmers. Nothing much to say honestly, I wish I wasn't here." I replied.