19(We promised we were going to travel the world together)

Kammy's Pov

    I walked into Kaima's hospital room . I had told Mom I wanted to see her alone. She didn't complain, I mean, she was trying to win me over even if dad was still bent on signing that contract.

   I saw she was facing the window that was beside her bed , opposite where the door was placed. The wires on her body had increased and the sight was hard to see. The reddish spots on her body had also multiplied. I knew she was in pain, but she never admitted she was.

    Her bills were piling . But I noticed someone had started to pay it up, I didn't know who it was, but I hoped it wasn't Mr Attah.

   'Hey'. I called out with a small smile. She turned to my direction, her face brightening up a little when she saw me. It was then I noticed something. My smile dropped as I stared hard at her.

     ' I'm sorry'. She apologized. 'I told them to take it off yesterday'.

   'Why?' I croaked out as I made my way towards her, looking at her now bald head.

   'I knew how hurt you would have been if you were here when it happened'. She admitted

    'You could have told me'. I whispered. 

   ' I'm sorry Kammy'. She apologized quietly

' It's okay '. I assured her as I took her hand in mine. 'I brought you something' I told her.

   'What's that?' she asked . I noticed there was a slight glint in her eyes just like anytime we had a surprise for her. She was always eager to see it . Most times ,she was disappointed by the outcome because we would always show her things not worthy of her enthusiasm.

   'Where is it? You think too much'. She groaned snapping me out of my thought. She was slower than how she was the last time we visited and that was just two days ago, mom had stayed back with her yesterday.
     She was both slow in speech and action. It showed she was fatigued. It was like she was slowly fading away and I didn't want that to happen. I sniffed quietly wiping at my eyes.

   'I would be old before you show me, I just know it'. She mumbled, not looking at me. My heart warmed at her words. The way she said she would be old was like she knew she was stronger than whatever sickness in her and that gave me hope.

    'Are you okay? You are crying'. She suddenly asked concerned.

   'Don't worry about me'. I assured her.  She nodded before gesturing for me to climb in. I hesitated at first but then I finally climbed in laying down carefully beside her.

    'So, the surprise'. She urged. I pulled out a picture from my back pocket, but I didn't show it to her yet.

   'Before your expectations are drowned, I never said it was a surprise' I warned.

    'Just show me'. She said. I placed the picture in her hand. She looked at it for a while without saying a word. It was a picture of her, Kay and me. We were both about 7 years, while Kay was about 12. We were all smiling brightly. I was in the middle with Kay and Kaima at my sides.

   I heard a soft sob escape her throat breaking the silence. I looked to see tears stream down her face. I moved to wipe them away. She laughed happily, her eyes crinkling at the corner as she sniffled.

    'I remember I didn't want to take this picture. You both made me take it and even succeeded in making me smile'. She croaked out. I noticed she wanted to cry but was laughing in between her statements to stop the sobs from escaping.

     'No, Dad promised to buy you sweets that was why'. I told her with a small smile .

    'Hey, I'm not that easy'. She defended.