Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home

Start from the beginning

"Come in."

Lizbeth stopped and collected herself before she turned the knob and entered in.

What welcomed her was the darkened room and a cloaked figure standing in front of the glass window.

Lizbeth was an intelligent person and a capable wizard, thus, in the midst of the unusual atmosphere around, she determined that it was none other than the duchess herself who just called her in.

"Madame, I am here," Lizbeth said, stepping forward.

With only the duchess's back facing against her, Lizbeth could not even take a glance at Atallie's face.

She could not tell anything about what the duchess was currently up to.

Lizbeth was only a few steps away from the duchess. She was just about to make close the distance when Atallie's voice echoed once again.

"I need to leave for a few days," Ataliie said. Her tone was a humdrum as usual.

Lizbeth was slightly taken aback.

Looking at the duchess clad in an ordinary-looking yet expensive cloak made in finest material, she knew that the duchess should be heading somewhere.

She was just not certain where it could be and why go in the night?

And hearing that the duchess will be gone for a few days, Lizbeth was rather curious. Would she need to tag along? After all, she was her lady-in-waiting and as someone being protected by the Mistress, she ought to take extra good care of the duchess.

Thus, without any hesitation, Lizbeth said, "I understand. I will be preparing right away." She took another step forward in an attempt to get a closer look at the duchess as she continued, "Does Madame need something else I should prepare for?"

"If there is anything else, Madame can let me know –"

"No, you will not go with me."

Lizbeth was just about to take another step forward as she spoke when her sentence was cut off.

Huh?

"Madame, I am not sure what you are meaning to say?" Lizbeth asked. She was rather confused.

Is she going to leave by herself?

"It is dangerous to go out and play without your aide, Madame. What are you talking about?" With furrowed brows, Lizbeth asked.

Besides, going out when it's already dark, it is not good for a woman to go at such a time.
Lizbeth kept on thinking about it.

Atallie knew that Lizbeth was a good person yet a bit harder to deal with. Thus, she could only resort to the most straightforward way.

"The Mistress had instructed me to meet her for some matters," Ataliie said.

Upon hearing the word 'Mistress', it was as if everything became clearer.

"The Mistress did?" Lizbeth asked. Her voice suddenly became enthusiastic and his excitement was written all over her face which was a big contrast to the huge darkened room.

"Yes." Atallie simply answered.

"If that is the case, then I can be rest assured. However, Madame, I would like to ask, who would be accompanying you with this matter if it would not be me?"

"Didn't I just say that I will be leaving? Did I say anyone else's name?"

"Madame, did you mean that you are truly going alone? You will not even bring Leonor or even one of your maidservants ?"