Chapter 8 - Was it True?

Shadow drove Sonic back home from the library, he kept giving away small glances to his master who was busy scrolling through his phone. He was very curious about what Silver had told him earlier, about how his master has a crush on him. That can't be true, right?

He never even have the slightest thought of that before. He thought that when his master was being close to him he just wanted comfort and to feel safe. He's a bodyguard, that's his job and the only thing he could think of. He was supposed to be protective.

He pulled over at the parking lot. He exit the car first so he could open the door for his master.

"Are you alright?" Shadow asked without even knowing why, he said spontaneously.

Sonic stepped out of the car and stared at him confusingly, "I'm alright, Shadow" he smiled.

"Please, if there's anything I could do to make your day just let me know" he said and to his surprise Sonic turned his head away.

"Yeah, thanks...I'll just be in my room" he said before turning his head to see Shadow again, "got some assignments to be done" he chuckled then went inside the house.

Sonic was hiding his blush, Shadow mistook it for something else.

As soon as Sonic went in, Shadow stared at his reflection on the car's window and thought to himself, "does he hate me? Was it because I'm too clueless to realize that my own master has feelings for me?"

He was very afraid of what his master might do to him if he couldn't even understand his feelings. He felt like he messed up really bad. But what was he supposed to do with that information? Return the feelings? That seemed impossible for a servant like him.

But when he started to think about it, the way his master tried to get him to notice was kind of cute. It was definitely not that common for him to be able to get so close to his master. The way he was able to keep his master in his arms and made sure that he get all the comfort that he needed. The feeling of warmth between them when they cuddle in the bed together, it was honestly a very nice feeling.

"Shadow!"

The dark hedgehog snapped back to reality after the loud voice that called his name.

"Uh- yes?"

"Aren't you coming in? You've been standing there for a minute" Sonic asked while standing near the door.

Shadow didn't even realize he was still outside. He cleared his throat and nodded his head.

"My apologies" he approached the house.

"Are you okay? You look like you could use some rest" his master asked worryingly.

"I'm perfectly fine, thank you" Shadow smiled.

"No, seriously, if you're not feeling well you could rest for the day" Sonic insisted but Shadow still refused him.

"I'm fine. I will rest if I am ill, I promise" he assured and the other sighed.

"Okay then, I'll be in my room" Sonic said before he left and Shadow nodded.

Once Sonic was out of his sight he facepalmed. He wasn't supposed to look like that in front of him, he needed to focus. His conversation with Silver really messed him up.

....
....

It was the next day. Sonic had only one class in the afternoon and Shadow was waiting for him outside.

"So...have you noticed his behavior after we had our talk yesterday?" Silver came and asked him.

"Weird" Shadow sighed, "when we went home he never once asked me to come to his room again like he used to for the past month"

"Did he ask for you to comfort him?"

"No, he was rather...quiet" Shadow frowned, "did I do really bad for not noticing? Or was it even real? The things that you said yesterday, was it just a misunderstanding?"

Silver stared at him worryingly, "I assure you it wasn't a misunderstanding" he said before gazing at the building in front of them, "I know very well those are signs that someone is in love and he was dropping hints all over you about it"

Shadow hold both of his hands tightly, "then I must have hurt his feelings.."

"Go to your master and apologize" Silver stated.

"What's next after that? Become his lover? I would break the rules and he would probably get in trouble with his parents" the bodyguard complained.

"Once again, figure that out yourself" the maid said before turning his attention to the tablet in his hands.

Sonic's class ended and he went to pick him up. He saw his master talking to another mobian, they both looked like they were having a good time together. He was happy that his master had gained another close friend, yet what was this feeling that was taking over his chest?

"Master"

"Oh, hi Shadow" Sonic smiled, "I'd like you to meet Scourge" he gestured to the green hedgehog next to him.

He was wearing a black leather jacket over his white shirt, dark grey jeans, and a black choker around his neck.

"Your bodyguard?" Scourge asked and Sonic nodded, "a pleasure to meet you" he smiled.

Shadow smiled back and nodded his head, "a pleasure to meet you as well"

"Where's yours?" Sonic turned and asked his new friend.

"Ah, he's back in my parents' house for now. He got himself into a little trouble after almost losing me the other day, so he's currently being nagged by the Head Servant over at the phone" Scourge explained.

"So you're free from your servant's watch for now?"

The two started walking away as Shadow followed from behind.

"Yeah, I could do any reckless things I want and he won't bother me" Scourge smirked and wrapped an arm around the smaller one's shoulder, "what do you say? Wanna hang out?"

"Sure! I need a breather after all these projects we've been getting" Sonic chuckled and leaned himself closer to him.

Shadow was still behind them as he watched how close his master was with his new friend. Of all the times he followed Sonic, this was the first time he actually felt like he was being completely ignored. They made it seem like he wasn't there, he was literally a shadow to them.

The bodyguard looked down and sighed, was it a mistake to trust Silver's words? He was starting to hurt himself without him even knowing.