Chapter 5 - Searching for a Solution

Sonic sat on the grass, Mephiles was right beside him and comforting him. He let his blue friend to take his time as he also tried to clear his mind from what happened. The poor decisions that their parents made for them had left an aching feeling within them, it was very sickening and they didn't know what to do to make it stop. The only thing that they could do to support each other at that moment was just to be by each other's side.

Shadow and Silver stood just not far from their masters. They looked at each other worryingly since that was the first time they saw how deppressing they were being. Silver, who intentionally wanted to do something really bad to Shadow's master earlier, had finally calmed himself down and realized just how bad was Sonic against the idea of him marrying Mephiles.

"I'm sorry for how my parents are acting..."

Mephiles finally broke the silence. Gently placing his hand on the blue one's shoulder, he apologized as if he carried the whole blame for their planned marriage.

"Don't say that" Sonic sniffed, slowly lifting his head up as he stared at the pale hedgehog, "you're like me, Mephiles, you're stuck to obey your parents' wishes. You have nothing to apologize for..."

Mephiles smiled and wiped the small tears that was left on Sonic's eyes away with his fingers.

"That is true, sadly" he sighed.

They stared at each other for a moment before shifting their gazes toward the night sky.

"So...what should we do now? How are we supposed to...reject our parents?" Sonic mumbled the questions.

"I honestly have no idea" the paler one sighed again, "we could try and reason with them as much as we can but...I don't think that will work now"

"I can't marry you, Mephiles, and you can't marry me. We both have gotten to know each other so well probably more than how our parents know about us...it's very frustrating for them to cage us like this"

Mephiles closed his eyes, he opened them again then stared down to the grass.

"The only option I could think of is to run away"

Sonic turned his head around toward Mephiles in shock, "are you crazy?" He tried not to yell.

"It could be our last option if we fail to change their mind before we graduate" Mephiles explained, "you got any better ideas?"

The younger hedgehog couldn't answer, he opened his mouth to say something but immediately pulled back the thought and decided to close his mouth. He turned his head away and frowned.

"Can't think of any..."

Mephiles kept staring down, he was still trying to figure a way out for him and his friend to decline the marriage. After a moment, he finally thought of something. He turned his head around and glanced at the servants.

"Could the two of you leave us for a while?"

Silver was the one to be in shock the most.

"Master, I am not leaving your side" he stated.

"Please, I want to have a really private talk with Sonic"

Silver hesitated for a moment, he's too loyal to even let him out of his sight just for a minute. Though he was supposed to obey his master no matter what, so he sighed.

"As you wish" he nodded and went inside the house with Shadow.

After making sure that they were completely alone, Mephiles scoot himself a bit closer so he could talk quietly.

"I have another idea, not guaranteed to work but might as well try" he shrugged, but he had Sonic's full attention.

"Why not tell your parents that you love your bodyguard?"

Sonic was stunned and his cheeks lit up brightly in red.

"Wh- wh- what?! I can't tell them about my feelings for Shadow!" Sonic whispered loudly.

"If they consider your feelings they might have to cancel our wedding for you and Shadow" Mephiles added.

"Gh- hrrmm..." Sonic looked away and groaned.

Mephiles waited patiently for his respond until the blue one sighed and stared at him.

"What if Shadow doesn't like me?"

"Make him to like you"

"Easier said than done, Mephiles" Sonic grumbled and made the other chuckle.

"Don't worry, I'll try and come up with a solution to convince my parents too. I might have to actually start looking for someone I know other than you to marry me" Mephiles looked away and smiled.

"But you don't want to spend the rest of your life with a significant other...are you sure?" Sonic asked worryingly.

"To ruin our wedding? Yes, I'm sure"

Sonic smiled softly and rested his head on Mephiles' shoulder, "you're such an awesome friend"

"Same goes to you" Mephiles said as they both shared a laugh.

.
.
.
.
.
I'm really really sorry for the very slow update, got a lot of things going on in college but i'll make sure to write this story until the end!