twenty-five! those are strings, pinocchio

may twentieth, 2003.

grace's outfit for the day before graduation: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/661958845234555850/

grace's graduation dress: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/652036852306509372/

grace's pov:

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧༺♥༻∞ 

me and the fam were sitting down at luke's discussing summer. "so what are your travel plans this summer luke?" i asked. "we're driving through western canada and then taking a cruise up to alaska." luke replied. "ah fun!" i replied. "the love boat." mom replied, in a sing-song type of voice. "what?" luke asked. "a cruise is a good spot to get down on one knee." mom suggested. "and do my ventriloquist act?" luke asked. "and propose." mom added. "i have no plans to propose." luke reminded her. "you don't now, but after you've had dinner at captain stubing's table and isaac's served you up a couple of mojitos." mom said. "romantic cruises say commitment, my friend." i said. "i am not committing and I am not proposing, so drop it." luke demanded. "okay, it's dropped." rory said. "really drop it." luke asked. "did i not just say it's dropped?" rory asked. "heard it with my own ears." i replied. "thank you." luke said. "the love boat." mom said in that sing-song voice. "if you'd get a radio in here, i wouldn't have to do that." mom suggested. "okay, so your graduation is tommarow at four, correct?" luke asked. "you know, you really don't have to go to it, luke." i said. "i want to. i feel like i've been through this whole chilton thing with you both." luke replied. "okay, good, we want you there." rory replied. "good. so what do you want?" luke asked. "are you hungry?" mom asked. "i'm just sore." rory complained. "let's just go home and rest." i suggested.  

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧༺♥༻∞ 

the next day i went over to my grandparents. I pressed the doorbell and grandpa and grandma opened the door asking, "what are you doing here?" "i have sort of a time-sensitive issue I need to talk to you about" i replied. "time-sensitive. well, come in, come in." grandpa, said, while we headed to the living room. I sat on the couch and grandma said, "we were just getting ready for your ceremony." "and I was just retying my tie for the third time. no matter how many times i tie a tie, there's always room for error." grandpa added. "it's, not an exact science, is it?" i asked. "nor an art form. it's pretty much nothing." grandpa replied. "all right. should we be nervous?" grandma asked. "no, you shouldn't be. i am a little." i replied. "well, what is it?" i asked. "i need money." i replied. "you need money." grandpa repeated. "for yale." i added. "for yale." grandpa repeated. "look, it's a long story, but no other financing came through and all of the other options that mom and i have are just. . .well, not good enough. so here's the offer - i would like for you to loan me the money for four years at Yale, and in return, i will get a part-time job and pay you in installments. i will continue this payment schedule after graduation increasing the payment amounts in proportion to my income. plus, i will reinstate friday night dinners with me. every Friday night, I will be here, at seven o'clock on the dot." i replied. "well, how wonderful." grandma said. "we've missed you, grace." grandpa said. "i've missed you, too. so this should work out for everyone, right?" i asked. "absolutely. we're happy to do it." grandma said. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧༺♥༻∞ 

later that day me and my friend group were stressing over the graduation ceremony. "valedictorian please be ready." my spanish asked. "you got this grace!" greyson hyped me up. "you're going to do great!" taylor said. "now, let's hear it for our valedictorian, grace marie gilmore." headmaster charleston said. i walked up the stage, basically shaking, "it's a distinct pleasure for me to introduce to you our valedictorian. this young lady was a second-year transfer from a modest school where she distinguished herself immeasurably. she is humble, hard-working, competitive when need is, and unparalleled in her academic achievements. hear it for grace gilmore."  headmaster charleston said. i walked up to the stand and i said, "headmaster charleston, faculty members, fellow students, family, and friends, welcome. we never thought this day would come. we prayed for its quick delivery, crossed days off our calendars, counted hours, minutes, and seconds, and now that it's here, i'm sorry it is because it means leaving friends who inspire me and teachers who have been my mentors - so many people who have shaped my life and my fellow students' lives impermeably and forever. during my time here at chiltion, I've realized memories are the most important. so while im up here i would like to point out my favorite memories, and people. i'm going to start with one of my best friends, greyson hayes. greyson has never failed to make me laugh, smile, or even cry. i know he is always there no matter what i need. i grew up with a sister but not a brother, but once i met greyson i knew i had some sort of a brother. so greyson i thank you for always being there for me. the next person i would like to point out my other friend, dylan parker. dylan you are one of the sweetest people i know. you always have the best advice, and i couldn't imagine anyone else's shoulder to cry on. expect many visits at cornell, i love you. the next person i'd like mention is dylan's sister, shelby. shelby. there's too many words to describe you. your the most thoughtful, trustworthy, and warm hearted person i've ever met. i can't wait to bake more cakes, while going through breakups together. i'm so fortunate to be best friends with you, and i hope to continue our bond while we are apart. next i'd like to mention is liam ford. thank you for being my pasta partner and being my cheering partner. i cant wait for yale to beat harverd next year. thank you for being by my side for the last two years, it has been a honor. my last fellow classmate i will be mentioning is taylor brown. taylor is the most affectionate person i'll ever be near. thank you for all your stories, advice, and jokes and i cant wait for euorpe. thank you for blessing me with a bunch of opportunities, and looking for my best interest. it's been a roller coaster kind of rush being friends with these amazing people. the next people i'd like to mention are my grandparents, emily and richard gilmore. richard and emily gilmore are kind, decent, unfailingly generous people. they are my twin pillars without whom i could not stand. i am proud to be their grandchild. the next person i'd like to mention is luke danes. while i was younger i didn't have much of a father figure, but ever since i was nine years old i was blessed with luke. if it's not making me chocolate chip pancakes, and serving me coffee, i wouldn't be who i am today, so i thank you luke. the second to last person i'd like to mention is my older sister, by two minutes, rory gilmore. thank you rory for being my favorite competeor. growing up along your side has been the best eighteen years of my life, and it's a blessing to look exactly like you. so i thank you. the last person i'd like to mention is my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend, the dazzling woman from whom i received my name and my life's blood, lorelai gilmore. my mother never gave me any idea that i couldn't do whatever i wanted to do or be whomever i wanted to be. she filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in her efforts to give me role models from jane austen to eudora welty to patti smith. as she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, Iidon't know if she ever realized that the person i most wanted to be was her. thank you, mom. you are my guidepost for everything."