seven!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 11th, 2002

Gracie's POV:

I walked into luke's and my mom was sitting down at our usual table. "so, um. . .ooh, do you wanna get some pie?" mom offered. "no, I'm full," I replied. "Coffee? How about some coffee?" mom asked. "hot chocolate?" she added. "no, thanks." I replied. "Egg cream? Now, I never had an egg cream but it sounds just disgusting enough to be fabulous." mom offered. "we're just going to study." I told her. "and we'll be right here doing it." I added. "I know." she replied. "so all this stalling is completely unnecessary. we hang out all the time upstairs, and you never have a problem with that," I replied. "I know, I just have a weird feeling," she replied. "trust me it'll be fine!" I told her. "I know." she replied. "so go," I said. "I will. Just finishing up the coffee that I paid for already. All right, that's enough, I'm going. Goodbye." she replied. "see you later!" I exclaimed. she left. "so, are you ready to start?" I asked Jess. "yes, I am." he replied. "where are your books?" I asked. "huh, I don't know." he replied. "how are we gonna study without your books?" I asked. "guess we can't. too bad. so, what now, movie?" he offered. "get them." I yelled. "the cat ate them." he replied. "get them or I'm leaving." I replied. "fine." he said, pulling his books out from behind the counter. "explain to me the political ramifications of the Marshall Plan." I asked him. "pick a card." he said, pulling out a deck of cards. I grabbed them and threw them behind me. "focus!" I exclaimed. "where's Greyson tonight?" jess asked. "he's hanging out with Liam, Shelby, Dylan, and Taylor like I'd be here if I didn't have to do this," I replied. "have you ever read "Please k*ll Me"?" he asked. "no," I replied. An oral history of the punk movement. You'd like it you can borrow it if you want." he offered. "I'm here to help you study. Now, if you want me to go, I'll go, but if I'm going to stay, then you will stop distracting me and start paying attention!" I replied. "okay!" he exclaimed. "finally! yes, I would like to borrow it, thank you very much. Now open your book." I replied. later that night he finished writing something on a notepad, then handed it to me. "done." he said. "this isn't Shakespeare." I replied. "really?" he asked, sarcastically. "its words to a rolling stone's song," I replied. "which rolling stones song?" he asked. "I'm not the one being tested right now," I replied. "10-" he said. "Nine, eight, seven," he added. "jess," I replied. "Six, five, four," he added. "Paint it, Black!" I added. "a plus!" he exclaimed. "why would you even agree to this studying thing in the first place?" I asked. "cause your my girlfriend, and I never get to hang out with you on Thursdays," he replied. "sweet, now start studying!" I told him. "Yeah, well. hey, do you wanna get outta here? I'm tired of studying!" he offered. "How can you be tired of studying? You haven't done any studying. You've done card tricks, you've made coffee, you've tried to explain to me how on earth Coldplay could be considered an alternative band, but as of yet, no studying." I replied. "see that's my car." he pointed. "yes, it is." I replied. "okay, tell you what. let's go get some ice cream, and then when we get back, I'll study." he offered. "this is a diner, there's ice cream here." I replied. "we don't have cones. I need cones." "if we go then you will be a perfect student for the rest of the night?" I asked. "pretty much," he replied. 

after we got ice cream jess said, "admit it, it's always better in a cone," "it's always better in a cone," I replied. "serious question?" I replied. "You know you're smarter than most everybody at your school. It takes you like five minutes to finish a book. You read everything, you remember everything, you could ace those classes easily. Why don't you? You don't need a tutor. It's crazy that they're talking about leaving you back," I added. "whatever." he replied. "is it like a cool thing?" I asked. "Ask my mother, she could give you a couple of reasons. Oh, and I'm sure Principal Mertin can chime in with a few good ones. Ask your mother. She doesn't know me all that well but I'm sure she could improvise a few things." he replied. "Do not give me that whole I'm so misunderstood, Kurt Cobain thing. You are way stronger than that and I don't even wanna hear it. You have to go to college." I replied. 

jess: No, you have to go to college.

me: but don't you have any plans?

jess: yes, I plan to get out of Stars Hollow.

me: then?

jess: Wherever.

me: and do?

jess: whatever. so, Courtney, what about you?

me: yale. 

jess: then?

me: work for Prada, do some activist things, move to new york

jess: when you get there let me know.

we were taking a sharp right and there was a deer. then there were airbags. "Gracie!" he exclaimed. "you okay? are you breathing?" he added. I could feel tears forming in my eyes. "I'm fine, you get my phone and call nine-one-one," I replied, trying to keep my tears from forming. finally, the ambulance came and took me to the hospital, after I was safe inside I decided to call mom. "hello?" she asked, on the other side of the phone.  "mom?" I replied. "oh, Gracie, great. Tell me, was it the China Ball, the China Doll, or the China Wall that had the really good shrimp balls?" she asked. "I'm pretty sure it was china doll," I replied. "Okay, these can go. You'll be so proud of me, I'm organizing the takeout drawer. I'm weeding out all the dogs and I'm putting happy face stickers on the dishes that have been huge successes to make our ordering more efficient. Where are you?" she asked. "I need you to be calm." I added. "why?" she asked. "I'm in the hospital," 

thirty minutes later mom arrived. "grace!" she exclaimed, rushing into the room. "hey!" I exclaimed. "are you okay?" she questioned. "yeah, I'm fine," I replied. "is she okay?" mom asked the doctor. "she's fine," the doctor replied. "If she's fine, there'd be no wrapping. There's no wrapping if she's fine." mom added. "Her arm hit the dashboard. She sustained a minor hairline fracture to her wrist." the doctor replied. "So she broke her wrist?" mom asked. "It's a tiny fracture, absolutely nothing serious. I'm gonna put a cast on it. She'll wear it for a couple of weeks, that's it." he replied. "a cast?" mom asked. "It barely hurts, I swear," I added. "Miss Gilmore, I assure you, we were very thorough." the doctor added. "I'm sure you were, I just would like some extra thorough. Uh, anything that could've possibly, in any scenario, affected this body, I want it checked out." mom added. "I'll run a few more x-rays if that'll make you feel better."  the doctor offered. "It will, thank you."  mom replied. "And then we'll put the cast on her, so it's gonna be a little while before she's out of here. Okay, grace, I'm gonna have the nurse take you down to x-ray now." the doctor replied. "Oh, can I go with her?" mom asked. "I'm sorry, you have to wait outside. It'll be about an hour if you wanna go grab some coffee or something," the doctor offered. "Okay, thanks. Smile pretty for the camera," mom replied. "I always do," I replied.

finally, we got home, with my brand new purple arm cat. super exciting. I was sitting in bed in my comic pajamas, and mom said, "Okay, you've got your TV, you've got your books, your magazines, your refreshments, you have your CD player, your assorted CDs. Stan Freberg, Ash, you have your Sinead O'Connor because when life gets you down, Sinead's the one to teach you some perspective. You have a pad of paper in case you decide to write the great American novel. And over here you have a tiny but annoying bell in case there's something here that you need but you don't have and you want to summon the common but lovely house wench who will promptly leave her talking mice and come to fetch the Contessa whatever she may require," "I think what Contessa requires right now is sleep." I replied. "My little Marianne Faithful. Scooch down now and go to sleep." 

the next day I went to luke's to see jess and he was gone.