The River, The Woods (The Way Home)

The trip back didn't take long. In fact, Jim was making some good time. He might even make his delivery on time. He just had to keep going and not stop for any reason. Jim looked down at his extra cargo on his back.

"You still awake back there?" he asked.

"Yes," Annie mumbled. Her face looked so pale. She could barely keep her eyes open. Her breathing also became labored. Speaking alone was making her wheeze. It looked like she was fading fast. Annie had been coughing on and off. The immune system was probably doing its best to fight back. Her savior knew that they had to go faster.

"Good," Jim said. "Tell me about your folks again."

"Mama and my old man hate each other," she said. "They are fighting all of the time too."

"Why is that?"

"I don't know anymore."

"Are you a runaway?"

"What? No!"

"Okay, okay. Good to see you are getting better."

"You a coyote?"

"Yeah."

"What were you delivering?"

"Medicine."

"Ah. What kind of medicine?"

"The usual run."

"Ah." Annie started couching hard. The coyote could feel her chest rattling against his back.

"Whoa, take it easy there." Jim shifted Annie on his back. "Breathe slower, okay? We're almost there."

Annie took in a slower breath. She tried to nod as she held onto her mask. Tears slowly ran down her cheeks.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yes," Annie wheezed out.

"Okay, just hang in there," Jim said. "Hang on to me and don't go to sleep."

"Yes!" she said. With that, the coyote broke into double time with his marching. The sickly girl tried to stay awake the whole time.

----------

Above ground, the tech guy quickly sat up.

"I think I found something!" he shouted.

"What?" Kate asked. Everyone ran to crowd around the monitor. A large red outline was walking towards the neighborhood.

"Is that her?" Kate asked. She looked like she was about to jump into the air. Mike waited with bated breath. Kenji and Suzuki-san leaned on each other.

"I can't tell," the technician said. "They are coming here really fast." Kate and the old men leaned in for a closer look. The red outline picked up speed as it got closer. Mike pulled out his radio.

"Annie, come in. Can you hear me?" he asked. The radio crackled to life.

"Annie?" Mike asked. "Are you there? Say something." Everyone crowded around for a listen.

"Hello?" a man's voice asked. Everyone looked confused.

"Uh... who is this?" Mike asked.

"This is Jim," the man said. "Who is this?" There was a pause. Everyone looked at each other. What was going on? They tried not to think the worst.

"Hello?" Jim asked. "Anybody still there?" Mike's eyes shifted towards the eyes on him.

"My name is Mike," he said. "Is Annie with you?"

"I don't know. What does she look like?" Jim asked.

"Short. Black hair in pigtails. Round face. I don't know what she was wearing," Mike said.

"I think I have who you are describing," the coyote said. There was a stir of whispers among the group.

"Um... where are you now?" Mike asked.

"I'm underground," Jim said. "I'm heading somewhere called Golden Leaf. Am I speaking to someone from there?"

"Yes!" Kenji shouted in the background.

"Yes," Mike repeated. He looked over at the Watanabe family's backyard.

"Uh... I will wait by the hatch," the boy said. Everyone looked up at him. Mike didn't even know what he was saying.

"And where would I find that?" Jim asked.

"Uh..." Mike said. He looked around at the adults for help. Kate walked forward and took the radio out of his hand.

"Hello! I am Sergeant Kate Watanabe. I'm the mother," she said. "I need you to listen to me. Can you still hear me?" There came a crackle from the radio.

"Can you still hear me?" Kate asked again.

"Yes," Jim said.

"Good," she said. "I am going to give the coordinates to get up here to us, okay?"

"Got it," he said.

"Good," she said. She turned to the technician behind her. He gave her a quick nod.

"I have my guy trailing you," Kate said. "We will help you the whole way. Just listen to the coordinates. Got it?"

"Yes ma'am," Jim said. The sergeant breathed out.

"Right," she said. Kate gave him the coordinates to get to her former backyard. The technician used his monitor to follow Jim's movements.

"Where are you now?" Kate asked.

"I can see a light ahead of me," Jim said on the other line.

"You are just about there," she said. "Keep going!"

"Yes, ma'am!" the coyote shouted. Kate could hear coughing in the background. Her heart jumped in her chest. She tried not to think of the worst.

"I can see the stairs!" Jim shouted.

"I will stand at the entry," Kate said. She ran to her backyard. Mike, Chester, Kenji, and Suzuki-san ran after her. Within minutes, Jim walked up the stairs with Annie on his back. The coughed as she struggled to stay awake.

"Annie!" Kate shouted. The soldiers ran to the sound of her voice.

"Medic!" the sergeant shouted. "Get the doctor,quick!" The last thing Annie could remember was the yelling and her body beinglifted off of her savior's back.