"Eh, I'll get right on it. Ulrich didn't ask why or protest when his brother asked him to step out while he spoke to Rut.

"Wow, Jonas, what a pleasant surprise," the woman exclaimed.

"Rut."

The woman waited for Jonas to tell her to have a seat, but the man had no intention of making her feel comfortable, "I wanted to announce it to you personally. We no longer need your services. We're still within your trial period soㅡ."

"Trial?"

"It's in your contract. Did you read it? Here's a copy if you need it."

The woman grabbed the papers Jonas handed.

"I don't understand. I haven't finished my mission," Rut said while her eyes scanned the lines of the prints Jonas handed.

"You've done more than enough for me," Jonas replied.

"Enough?"

The man rose his gaze from the papers on his desk to glare at her, "stop it, Rut. I'm trying to be polite."

"Polite?" Rut spat, "you've been condescending since I've entered your office."

The anger the man retained exploded, "who do you think you are, Rut? Tell me, who are you to try to fuck up my life and speak to my wife in such terms?"

Ruts blood didn't even have time to make a round trip, "Jonas."

"Why Rut, tell me why you have to ruin everything and everyone you touch? How dare you speak to Sierra that way. You don't know her. You don't know a damn thing about her or Leone's birthmother. Again I ask you, who do you think you are?"

The woman was speechless. She didn't think Sierra would have the guts to tell Jonas. Rut didn't even have time to respond as Jonas immediately rebounded.

"I don't want you around me or any other family member. You're too toxic. Get out of my office, Rut."

Outside, Lars arrived only to be blocked by Ulrich.

"Ulrich, let me pass."

"Stay out of it, Lars."

Back inside, Rut chuckled, "toxic? You're nothing, Jonas. You truly think you're someone now you're a teeny-weeny millionaire. You'll always be the mute guy behind his charismatic brothers, and I will always be your first love. The first woman virgin Jonas ever touched."

Jonas got up and came to face the woman. The temptation to strangle her to death was so great the man had to step back.

"You're right, Rut, you were the first, but I'm with my last. My one and only, I don't need your discount and controversial affection. If I'm nothing, then don't waste your time; get out. Norton will wire you three months' salary."

Rut sneered, "I don't want your petty cash." She walked to the door and left. The woman refused to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing her discontent. She lifted her head as she went down the stairs and crossed the desks.

Lars took a step to follow, but Ulrich grasped his shirt at his chest level.

"Let go, Ulrich."

"Lars, it's her or us."

"Let go of him, Jonas said. The brothers turned to find him standing within his office's door frame.

Ulrich did what he asked. Lars fixed his shirt, "what the fuck was that about, Jonas?"

Rut was not the cause of Sierra's miscarriage. Still, Jonas knew her words contributed by seeping through Sierra's consciousness and making her wrongfully believe their story was an abomination. Jonas' mind exploded when he thought of how Rut shamelessly evoked Cecile. The repercussions of the damage she caused left scars the couple had to deal with.

"Lars, I will only say this once. If you follow that woman, you will no longer be my brother. You can leave the company. I'll never want to see you again."

It was a first; Jonas never swore, threatened, or held grudges, just like he never raised his voice.

Ulrich didn't even try to imagine what put his brother in such rage, but he stood by his decision concerning Rut.

Lars laughed nervously and swiped a hand at the back of his head, "Jonas, chill."

The man didn't follow Rut not because he feared his brother's wrath, but Lars realized the sentiments he had were mere infatuation for the older girl next door. The one who kissed his knee better when he got a cut.

All it was fascination.

While Lars reflected, Rut got in her car and dialed, "hello, what was it you wanted me to do again? ㅡWhat people can't change their minds? ㅡI want her to suffer pain so hard she'd rather die.