REALITY

"How is she, Jonas?" Sigrid asked.

"She doesn't want to see anybody for the moment."

Thirty minutes earlier.

"Your wife suffered from cervical insufficiency. Usually, the ultrasound checkup in the first trimester or a cervical exam in the second or third allows us to detect this."

"We did an ultrasound check on the eighth, maybe the tenth week. The doctor didn't see andㅡ," Jonas swiped a hand on his forehead, the irony of the situation was beyond him, "we had a checkup yesterday."

Jonas was livid; he couldn't comprehend how the doctor missed it.

At that instant, Jonas, desperate to find the culprit, got served while Sierra mentally hung herself. She had two responsibilities, which consisted of carrying their child and giving birth to a healthy baby.

Jonas didn't need to seek who had done it. She did, her doubts and fears; the baby must have felt it. Sierra's arms weren't wide enough to welcome him, so he left.

Not at one instant did she blame someone or something else.

It was her.

"It's negligence."

"No, Mr. Potsmann, I assure you. It isn't always easy to spot sometimes. We can stitch the cervix through surgery when caught early, but again one has to see it. Environment, lifestyle, and mental health, there are many factors and circumstances we can add. A woman with known cervical issues is advised not to do too many psychical activities; she also has to have a calm and peaceful environment. Stress can sometimes accelerate things. Again these are all subjective reasons.

Jonas thought of when Sierra rode her bike and how he told Sierra about the Gauthiers. 

The man regretted speaking of  his past relationship with Rut.

There was also the incident with the police; she probably didn't know it was too much for her.

The man had his answer; he was the culprit.

Jonas shouldn't have told her. He should have privileged driving Sierra to places instead of letting her ride her bike. The man was careless; he let the Gauthiers nibble his time as he tried to find solutions when he should have been at home with her.

Sierra was in a foreign land without friends and a new family. Of course, this impacted her mentally. She never complained, but how did the woman feel during all this time?

At that moment, Sierra wished for her and everything around her to vanish. The woman closed her eyes to sleep. She and her husband exchanged no words.

Jonas left the room to call his parents. Now they were taking Leone.

"I'll come and get him tomorrow."

"There's no need, Jonas. Take your time."

Sigrid saw it, the void in Jonas's stare. The man didn't express himself with words, but she knew he died within. Her children had never known suffering, unfortunate mishaps, but not the cruel affliction that leaves an open wound that never heals.

Cecile's death was the first for Jonas, but Sierra came and plastered it with love. All that was left was a scar.

What would it be of this loss that affected husband and wife so profoundly?

How and who would heal who?

"Jonas, speak to her. Don't let Sierra go through this alone."

The man nodded and handed Leone to his father.