His eyes grew an amused edge as talons scraped against my mind and a chuckle sounded from behind my barriers. But it's so much fun making you squirm, said Rhysands voice in mind.

I seethed into my mind, "Stay the hell out of my head." he smiled, "And stop trying to change the subject." I said aloud.

    But his claws dug into my mind and I went still as death, Did I tell you how delicious you looked today? The fashion of the Night Court suits you.

    I stared at him, internally fantasizing about his murder.

    Keep your sheilds up, Danika. You've had them down for months and anyone can get through. He warned me, I hadn't even realized they'd been down. A fool's mistake I wouldn't make again. Now shove me out and put them back up.

    I wasted no time, finding the metaphorical door of lightning in my mind and slamming it in his face. I was lucky he'd only been on the threshold of my mind and not inside. Inside would have been harder.

Rhysand staggered back in his chair as if I'd actually hit him. His eyes were wide as if he hadn't expected it.

    I leaned back, "You're an asshole." I shrugged.

    He stared at me a moment longer, "Oh, most definitely. Excellent work." the words were full of humor but there was still a disbelieving look on his face.    

    I rolled my eyes again, sick and tired of his games, "Oh, please. Spare me your condescension."

    "I'm not." He replied nonchalantly as he began to stand from his chair, likely to leave me to to my research.

    I narrowed my eyes, "Is it possible to ever keep you out fully?"

    Rhysand's features were those of contemplation. Like he wasn't sure. "With your power...maybe."

    I cocked my head at him, he looked almost torn up about the fact. Like it was meant to be impossible. It even more confusing.

Every time I thought I had the male figured out, he puzzled me again.

    Rhysand started walking away but he stopped. He turned just a fraction, "I'm not your enemy, Danika." It was quiet, like he wanted to assure me.

    I leaned back in my chair once more, "Everyone else says you are." my conversation with Hart only days ago was proof enough.

    He turned fully then to face me, his back illuminated by the light in the hallway, "And what do you think?"

    "Does it matter?" I asked him. The question was genuine. Not once in my life had I ever been asked what I wanted. Decisions had been made for me by my superiors. I'd never really thought twice about it until then.

    "Yes." He replied bluntly.

    "My opinion is irrelevant at the moment." I breathed out, "I'm here for a week every month. We won't see each other other than that. My opinion shouldn't matter in this situation."

    Rhysand chuckled, but somehow the sound was empty. "Is that what they've taught you there? At Spring Court? That your opinion doesn't matter."

"I've never known anything else," I said as I stood from my seat and started walking away to one of the tall isles of books. If Rhysand wanted me to research. Fine. There wasn't much choice in that. But I didn't have to sit over there and listen to him try to give me a pep talk or whatever the hell that was meant to be.

    To my ever loathing dismay, Rhysand followed me into the isle—no, followed was too light a word. He stormed after me. "Is it so much easier to let them coddle you?" He asked, frustration dripping from his voice at my back.

    I whirled, "I do not let them coddle me."

    He scoffed, "They had you wrapped up like a present yesterday. Like you were his toy."

    "So?" He could never understand the full extent of my situation. Could never understand the position I'd been forced into. Why not just let him think about what he wanted?

    "So?" A flicker of rage, before it was gone. Pushed back under the waves of his mind.

    I sighed in defeat, turning back around to the shelf in front of me, "Just leave me be, Rhysand." I sounded like a child. I was aware, but I truly did want to just be alone with the peace and quiet of the books.

    "Fine." He seethed, "I'll be back in an hour."

    And then he vanished into the shadows silently.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Had to add some angst.

I'm supposed to be doing schoolwork right now but I'm writing Wattpad instead because I'm sad and can't stop crying whenever even look at it. So I hope you guys eat this up because I'm literally dead.