Chapter 3- Cake vs. Muffins

--Chapter 3~ Cake vs. Muffins --

--Time Lapse to when Tris goes to explain everything to Christina in the last chapter--

Tobias' POV

"I've got to go talk to Chris." Tris says, standing up and speed-walking out of the cafeteria.

I look over towards the cafeteria door and see Zeke and Shauna walking in. Before they can find somewhere else to sit, I wave them over to my table.

"Why were you talking to that Stiff?" Lauren asks, the tone of jealously clear in her voice. She's liked me for about two years now and won't seem to get the message that I'm not interested.

"She isn't a Stiff anymore, Lauren, don't you forget that. She passed Dauntless initiation. In first place, as well!" I say, defending Tris and causing Lauren to roll her eyes.

"Alright, I'm sorry," she sighs, sitting down next to me while Shauna and Zeke sit across from us. "Why do you even care so much?"

"Because," Zeke starts to answer. I shoot him a glare and kick him slightly underneath the table. I don't want Lauren to know anything yet.

Zeke seems to understand and turns to Shauna, whispering something in her ear. After Zeke finished talking Shauna nods and stands up.

"Hey Lauren, I saw the coolest thing ever earlier that I think you'd be really interested in seeing. Come on, I'll show you!" Shauna says, grabbing Lauren's arm and dragging her out of the cafeteria.

"You don't care that Shauna knows about you and Tris, right? I kind of already told her everything." Zeke asks once the two girls are out of the room.

"No, it's fine."

"Okay, so are you and Tris like an actual thing or did you just randomly kiss her after initiation? You never told me the whole story. You're dating right?"

"Yeah, we are."

"For how long?"

"Only for a few days. It happened around the time all of the fear-landscape simulations were happening."

"Oh, I'm kind of surprised you like her. I mean.."

"You mean what? Why wouldn't I like her?" I ask. Does he have something against Tris?

"Nothing, I don't know, she just doesn't seem like your type."

"Which is?"

Before Zeke can answer I hear Max call my name. I look over towards where Max is standing and see him waving me over. I sigh and roll my eyes, standing up and heading over to Max. Zeke waves a quick 'goodbye' as I leave the table.

"Four." Max greets once I approach him.

"Yes?"

"I want to offer you the leadership job again one last time. Tomorrow, as you know, the new members will choose their jobs and this may be the last chance for you to get the spot." he says.

Good! Why can't he see that I don't want this job. Firstly I don't deserve it- I'm not brave enough. Secondly I don't want to see my father again. EVER.

"No, I'm not interested," I answer. "Thank you for the offer, but I really am happy in my current position."

"Okay fine, suit yourself," he says, holding a packaged of paper up in front of me."Also, if you don't mind, could you please run these to Tori in the tattoo parlor?"

"Yeah, sure." I say. I don't really want to help Max, but I also don't want to get on his bad-side. He is a leader and, if he wanted, he could make my life a living hell.

I take the package of paper from him and leave the cafeteria, heading towards the tattoo parlor.

Tris' Pov

After my conversation with Christina,I head back to the cafeteria. Sadly Tobias isn't there anymore, but I'm still hungry. I want to try this so called Dauntless Cake the boys are always raving about.

"Tris, over here!" I hear Uriah call from another table.

I walk over to Uriah's table and sit down across from him. Lynn is sitting next to me and across from her, next to Uriah, is Marlene.

"I want to try some on this spectacular  Dauntless Cake I've heard so much about." I say.

"It's really not that amazing," Marlene says. "It's good, but nothing spectacular."

Uriah chokes on whatever he was drinking and turns to Marlene, placing a hand over his heart and giving her a look as if she had just killed his mother or something.

"Ummm, say that again, please. I can't believe what my ears just heard." Uriah says, defending his 'Pride and Joy.' He treats cake like it's his child.

"I said Dauntless cake isn't anything special," Marlene continues, not afraid of Uriah. "I mean, it really isn't."

Not a wise move, Mar, not a wise move.

"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!"

Boy is Uriah sassy.

"Muffins are better." Marlene continues.

Lynn and I just awkwardly sit there, watching a lovers brawl take place.

This isn't going to end well.

"Tris, try this." Uriah says, handing me a piece of cake. I grab a small chunk of the cake with my fork and put it in my mouth.

Yummmmmmmm

This is actually really good. I think I'm going to have to agree with Uriah for once.

"Okay, Dauntless Cake vs. Muffins, Tris." he asks, starting a debate.

"Dauntless Cake. Sorry, Mar."

"Okay, Lynn, Dauntless Cake vs. Muffins." Uriah continues.

"Muffins." Lynn answers. 

"It's a tie! We need a tie-breaker!" Uriah shouts, excited that there's still hope for him to win the argument.

"That's not fair, you're going to find someone who you know will choose cake, Uri." Marlene argues.

"Fine, we will ask the first person to walk past this table for their opinion. No matter who it is or what we know their answer will be, it will be their decision." Uriah says, coming up with a compromise.

We wait a few minutes until someone finally walks past the table. The cafeteria is almost empty since it's after the normal breakfast time.

The first person to walk past the table is Tobias. We all know what he's going to pick.....

"Hey guys." he says.

"Four, Dauntless Cake or Muffins?" Uriah asks immediately, smiling happily, knowing what Tobias' answer will be.

"Cake, of course. What kind of question is that?" Tobias answers.

Tobias sits down on the chair next to me and slings his arm over my shoulders.

Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn all give us a questioning look.

Oh, that's right. They don't know yet.
-------------
That's it for this chapter. I hope you all enjoyed and if you did feel free to give a rate or leave a comment.

Also, if you notice any grammar/ spelling mistakes feel free to point them out so I can fix them: )

Be Brave,
Maddie