The dress was a monstrosity of chiffon and gossamer, the skirts made her look like a sparkling cupcake. I pitied her. Ianthe had picked out the dress, I suppose her fashion choices weren't up to date because all she wore was her traditional blue robe.

"Don't be nervous," Alis said from beside my sister.

"I'm not," Feyre replied almost defensively.

"I'm sure everything will be fine." I tried to assure the bride-to-be. But she was still staring off into some alternate space as she thought. Something had felt off with her all day, but I couldn't place it.

Alis looked my sister up and down, assessing her. "You're fidgeting like my youngest nephew during a haircut." she fussed over Feyre's dress, and a few servants gathered by the door to get a peek at Feyre. Alis shooed them away immediately and the two of us pretended that they were never there at all.

"You look beautiful," Alis said quietly.

"Thank you." Feyre choked out.

"And you sound like your going to your funeral."

A very obviously fake grin crossed my sister's face. I stood from my seat as Feyre stepped down from the pedestal she was on. I approached my sister and placed my hands on her shoulders, "I'm happy for you," I hugged her, "And if you want to run away I'm here too." I tried to joke, but it just sounded empty to me.

Feyre smiled a bit. And I realized just how broken we both were.

"I'll meet you down there."

I said nothing else before I walked out of the room and started walking out to the courtyard. I ran into Lucien on the way there, and the two of us made some boring conversation. Lucien and I were friends, even if we barely saw each other.

We finally arrived at the venue, a mess of white and emerald colors. I looked at the seats, all holding the names of guests. I soon realized that I had been placed right next to where Tamlin was meant to stand. I sighed in defeat, never would he let me have just a moment.

But that wasn't what made me stop in my tracks as I stated at something. It was the red roses gathered by the alter. They were scattered all over aisle like rain drops, and there was a large puddle of them gathering where the couple would stand on the dais.

I couldn't help but think the petals looked like blood.  Like deadly drops of life.

My breath hitched and Lucien stopped a few steps ahead of me, "What's wrong?" he asked as he cocked his head.

"Why are they red?" I asked, almost choking on the words as I couldn't look away.

Lucien just shrugged, obviously not noticing my distress in the moment. I closed my eyes, forcing everything down. Forcing myself to be the mindless slave the High Lord wanted. I held my head high, trying not to look at the petals as I came to my seat in the front row.

I sat there for a moment in the uncomfortable wooden chair, trying to gather my best happy face for the ceremony. The wood on the chair next to me creaked as someone sat down.

I didn't need to look over to see who it was. Besides Lucien—who was near the alter—no one else would dare to approach me today.

"If you do anything to ruin today, Danika, you'll regret it," Tamlin said from beside me, both of us were looking forward, acting like there was no conversation going on at all.

"I know, High Lord," I replied in a monotone voice. Like a good little pet.

"There will be repercussions." he warned further.