+12

After shopping for what seemed like forever, Michael, Venice and I decided to go sit down and have a decent meal. I forgot just how good it felt to buy new clothes. It was refreshing and also somewhat hilarious since Venice criticized everything I bought. She claimed my style was too plain. Venice and I had totally different styles. Unlike me, Venice was in the scene. She had been separated from society and fashion for five years, yet she jumped right back into the melting pot as if it wasn't anything new. The clothes she bought resembled what everyone else our age was wearing. According to Venice, I dressed like a grandma. "Your name really matches you," Venice said as we awaited our food. She gave me a smile and her eyes shined a bit. I rolled my eyes at her and looked down at the menu even though I had already ordered. "Seriously, Maeve is like an old lady's name. You dress like an old lady. You're like an old soul, kind of. You remind me of my grandma." I scoffed and hit Venice on the back of her head just like her father. "Ow!" She reached over and pinched my arm.

"Venice!"

"You hit me!"

"You called me old!"

"It's not my fault that you dress like Mary Poppins!"

I crossed my arms. "I do not dress like Mary Poppins. I don't have an umbrella and I didn't even buy any skirts. So why don't you just shut up?"

"Make me," Venice said as she gave me a teasing smirk. Instead of entertaining Venice, I turned away from her to look at Michael. He was looking around the restaurant as he studied people. I'm sure all of this was pretty peculiar to him. He hadn't been around normal people since he was a small child. He probably didn't even remember how life was back then. Even I knew how life was before the epidemic, but all of this still amazed me. Everyone here seemed so healthy, or their bellies seemed to be filled with food. They didn't know just how bad it was in New York. At least, they didn't act like it.

"So, Michael, are you enjoying yourself so far," I asked him as I ignored Venice who was poking my side. She was so freaking annoying sometimes. I elbowed her rib and that caused her to stop and groan into pain. What even possessed me to sit beside her? I was annoyed with myself. "I know it's probably weird for you. I admit it's weird for me, too. Everyone's so happy here, right? There's such a nice vibe."

"Yeah, I wish New York was like this," he said simply as he gave me a bit of a smile. Throughout the day, Michael had come around. He was a bit more talkative and even seemed friendly with Venice. I could tell that he was more confident as well after he met Evan. He was less fearful about what was going to happen tomorrow and it made me feel better about the whole thing. Honestly, all of this seemed too good to be true. Somewhere within me was a small feeling that everything was going to go wrong, but I knew one thing, I trusted Evan. He was a family man and I knew he wouldn't harm Michael or Venice and I. But, I didn't know what to say about the doctors or anyone else for that matter.

A few waiters came with our food. Venice went all out. She got some of everything off of the menu. I hoped she knew that she was going to have an upset stomach after eating so much. The bill for this place had to be at least three hundred dollars from all the food that she had gotten. "Where should I start," she asked as she rubbed her hands together. "I think I'm going to go for the steak." She grabbed a knife and a fork and began cutting the tender sirloin. "What," she asked as she inserted a piece into her mouth.

"How are you going to eat all of that," I asked her. "You're going to get sick, Venice."

"Aw, you care." She said as she reached over to pinch my cheek.

I smacked her hand away, "Yeah, only because we have to share the same bathroom."

Venice chuckled at me and continued eating. I decided to not worry about Venice and her body. She was a big girl, the only thing I could do was warn her not to overdo herself. I got one dish, unlike Venice's twenty, and it was country-styled ribs. Part of me wished that it tasted exactly like my mom's, but I knew no one could ever pull that off. I ate a few of my vegetables first before finally taking a bite out of the main dish. My taste buds ignited and a smile spread across my face. Damn, it sure felt good to actually eat some real food. Of course, it was nothing like my mother's recipe but it was still delightful.