+4

Georgie was a nice little boy. I found it amazing how kids could find light out of a disaster like this. Most of them that I’ve encountered didn’t seem worried about anything. For them, they acted as if it was all normal. As if decaying people was supposed to chase after you and attempt to eat you piece by piece. Georgie wore a bright smile on his face even with his head injury as he played cards with Venice and I. I could tell Venice and he had conversation before. They were so comfortable around each other, which made me comfortable. For some reason, I wasn’t skeptical or nervous about Venice or any of the other Uniters, except for that blonde woman. Maybe it was because they were known to be peaceful. They had a good reputation, which they were holding up well. I’ve heard nothing but good talk about the Uniters, and now all of a sudden, I was a part of the crew. “You’re cheating,” Georgie yelled as he laughed. It was Venice’s fifth time beating both of us in Go Fish. “Let’s play a man’s game,” Georgie said as he rubbed his hands together. His scarred eyebrow rose a bit mischievously as he looked from Venice to I. “Spades.”

I laughed out loud at him as Venice shuffled the cards. “You know nothing about Spades,” Venice said as she shook her head. Her lips curved up in a small smile. She shuffled the cards professionally. “So, we’ll play Go Fish again.” Georgie pouted but he didn’t say anything or protest. Before Venice could pass out any cards, Fire and Union approached us. Union had my duffle bag wrapped around his shoulder as he also carried an assumedly heavy rubber shipping case. The case was long and looked to be deep. I had never seen a loot crate before in my life. Union held the crate with a scowl on his face. “Everything went okay,” Venice asked as she stood up. She passed the cards to Georgie and walked up to the two.

“Yeah, we had to kill a few Spillers but the less the merrier,” Fire said in a stern voice. “I’m just ready to get this thing opened. We didn’t look yet. We want it to be a surprise.”

Venice looked back towards me and Georgie. “Maeve, come with us. Georgie, work on your Go Fish skills.”

“And how am I going to do that,” he asked as he played with the decked of the cards.

“Find a way, kid,” Venice said as she shrugged. She began walking away with Fire and Union.

I stood up from my chair and patted Georgie’s arm. “I’ll see you later, Georgie.”

“See ya,” he said a bit solemnly. I gave him a small smile before rushing to catch up with the trio. They were just about to step into the elevator. I followed them in, and without a word, Union managed to pass me my duffle bag.

“Thank you,” I said. I didn’t even know what was in the contents of my own bag. I was eager to see what was in my bag, but also the loot crate. We went up to the seventh floor, throughout the ride Fire and Union began arguing.

“Your favorite hero is Spiderman,” Fire asked as she scoffed. She seemed so disgusted with Union and Union seemed highly offended. “Spiderman!? Seriously!? He’s a bitch. All he can do is shoot semen out of his fingertips. If you ask me, my favorite hero is Captain America. If he wasn’t fictional, none of this bullshit would be happening.”

“He’s like a million years old,” Union argued as we stepped off the elevator. “He can’t do shit but forget his prescription.” Fire growled, and her skin began turning a rosy red. It was almost like she was on fire with her red hair. “What are you going to do,” he asked as Venice used her key to open a door. The door was right beside my room door, so I assumed this was Venice’s place. She seemed so calm with Union and Fire yelling. It was almost like she was used to it. “Captain America would probably be the first one to turn into a feaster. I mean, how is he going to run away from them with a cane?” We walked into Venice’s place and she closed the door and huffed as Union put the crate down on her couch. “I mean, can he even see?”