Chapter XVIII

Class 1-B was very tired. They got up much later than Class 1-A, too. They all stood in a group in front of their cabin areas, looking at their teacher.

"We're going to strengthen our Quirks?" Kendo repeated.

"Class 1-A is already training," Vlad King replied, looking unimpressed with his exhausted students.

"See if you can catch up." He began walking away, motioning for them to follow.

"Last semester, 1-A was in the spotlight," Vlad King said as he led them into the forest.

"Next semester, it'll be 1-B's turn. From now on, you're shooting for the top. Don't let me down!"

(We're such disappointing students!) Tetsutetsu cried in his mind, the Alpha loving the manly harshness of their teacher's words.

"I get you want everyone to improve their Quirks," Kodai said to Vlad King,

"But we have 20 unique powers in our class. What kind of training will help all of us get better?"

"Yeah, can you be more specific?" Awase asked.

"When your muscle fibers are overused," Vlad King began,

"They break and grow back tougher, thicker. Quirks are the same way. They improve the harder you push them. They're stronger after every workout." The class neared a brightly-sunlit exit in the forest path. Vlad King directed them over to it as he spoke. The closer they got, the more the students' eyes adjusted to the light, and then everything came into full view.

"In other words," Vlad Kind smiled wryly,

"You'll have to break yourselves." All students yelped as their vision became more clear. Their eyes widened, and all felt very... uncomfortable, is the word? Whatever the case, they were not looking forward to what lay before them.

---------------------------------------------

Bakugo was standing in front of an oil barrel, full of boiling water. It was perched over a fire to keep it hot, and the ash-blonde roared in pain as he thrust his hands in. Bringing them back out, he let loose huge explosions up into the air. He yelled all the while, just outraged at the whole agonizing exercise. The hot water expanded his sweat glands, and his perspiration acted like nitro-glycerin, the cause of his explosions. If more nitro-glycerin was made, the more explosions he would have, and with greater power behind them.

Todoroki was actually in an oil barrel, filled with regular water. His job was to learn how to regulate the temperatures of both his ice and fire and learn to use both sides of his power simultaneously. He spread mounds of ice around and in the barrel, and then did the same for fire. He switched back and forth, breathing heavily, the exertion is pretty exhausting. He was having trouble getting the water to the needed temperature and keeping it there, but he slapped the barrel once more, determined to succeed as he used his ice on the next switch.

Sero was on the edge of a small cliff, shrieking in pain. His job was to never stop sprouting tape from his elbows. His raw arm joints ached with pain, but the exercise increased the utility of his Quirk. This would strengthen his power and eventually make him able to produce a nearly infinite amount of tape. He was supposed to build up his stamina and Quirk-usage by repeatedly making the sticky strip lines of material.

Ojiro and Kirishima worked together, locked in combat. While Ojiro just used his tail to fight Kirishima, Kirishima could only take the blows in his hardened form. This increased the stamina and the strength of both of their Quirks, while Kirishima would have to do training with the "other side" to his quirk later with someone else.