14 | My Love

"Are you ever going to ask Da-Eun out?"

I watched Yeonjun sitting across the table, sipping his americano. He raised his eyes at my question, then we both glanced at Da-Eun. A guy standing behind her said something to her, and she glared at him. He must've asked for her number.

She had a lot of guys crushing on her. Including Yeonjun, the one I was crushing on. The said boy grimaced at the scene, and made a face. "Da-Eun has been learning Taekwondo. I'll spare the trouble."

His expressions made me chuckle. "So? Are you going to have a silent crush on her forever? Loving her from far away like dramas?"

Yeonjun looked up. "Maybe." He lowered his eyes and a shadow covered his face. "I think I'm going to do that. It'll hurt, but... It's best for everyone."

"Philosophy. Huh?" I rolled my eyes. "If you're thinking about your idol career, then Da-Eun isn't someone who will rat you out or something."

"Have you ever looked at me as a normal person? Not a guy who's going to be an idol, but a normal person?"

I frowned. "Sorry if that offended you."

"Forget about it."

Before I could apologize again, and talk to him more, Da-Eun came back with her chocolate shake. We started talking about school and all. My eyes glanced at Yeonjun from time to time, but he didn't meet my eyes again.

It went like that for the rest of the evening.

I bet he wouldn't have talked to me if it weren't for the homework he needed. Mum was downstairs, cooking dinner when I came home with Yeonjun. She greeted him with a big smile which he returned with an enthusiastic wave.

"School year is coming to an end," I mumbled. "I don't want to fight you."

He took the notebook from my hands, and bit his lip. "I don't want to fight you too. You were right earlier. I... I don't want a relationship because I don't want trouble in the future. I... I don't trust anyone else other than you."

"Not even Da-Eun?"

"Not even Da-Eun." Yeonjun confirmed, running his fingers through my hair gently. "You're the only one I trust. You're a good person, Rachel."

"Choi Yeonjun." My lips twitched into a smile. "You can be nice when you want to be. Idiot."

He chuckled, and leaned to brush his nose against mine. The time stopped as I stared at him and he stared back. Our smiles diminished, and my heart pounded in my chest. His hands took a hold of mind, intertwining our fingers. I squeezed my eyes shut, a storm of emotions swirling at the pit of my stomach.

Yeonjun liked Da-Eun. He liked my friend. He was going to kiss me right now. He was going to imagine me as Da-Eun probably. I wanted him to kiss me. But did I want him to imagine me as someone else? Fuck no. His lips met the spot just below my ear, and I wanted to pull him closer and push him as far away as I could.

"Ask me to leave," he whispered against my skin. Goosebumps formed over my body.

"Are you going to kiss me? Or are you going to imagine..." My throat wobbled, and he froze, leaning back to look at me. Oh I wished he won't. "I'm fine," I blurted out. "If you want to imagine me as Da-Eun, I'm-"

"No." His voice was hard. "I'm going to kiss you."

His fingers tangled in my hair as he gripped the back of my head to hold me still against his mouth. We opened our mouths at the exact time and completely devoured each other. Oh my God. The boy could kiss.

Yeonjun didn't close his eyes though. He kept staring at me as he explored my mouth. It was a confession. He was kissing me. Not imagining Da-Eun or anyone else. Me.

The door opened, and there was a startled 'oh my God'. We both pulled away from each other, turning to the door. Mum looked anywhere but us. She hastily placed the cupcakes on the table, and left the room. I gawked at the closed door, trying to make a sense of everything that had happened in the matter of minutes.

Yeonjun turned around and gripped the edge of the table, dropping his head between his shoulders. "Fucking fuck." With that grumble, he also rushed out of the room, probably the house.

I stood there, confused and dazed.

"Yeonjun is a nice boy." Mum sipped her tea, and I shuddered. We were having breakfast the next day. Yeonjun had not replied to my texts. He was acting weird. Probably embarrassed?

"Mum, it was just..."

"I didn't ask anything." She shrugged.

"Shouldn't you scold me or something?"

Mum sighed deeply, and held my hand above the table. "Rachel, you're bound to date guys in your teenage. I get it. I've accepted it. The most I can do is be updated with your dating life. I don't want you to go behind my back, have a heartbreak or something, and not able to tell me. I want to be there for you. "

"You're cool." I kissed her hand. "I promise you that I will tell you about everything, mum. Yeonjun isn't anything more than a friend though."

"Then what were you doing upstairs?"

"I don't know. I like him and he... I'm not sure." Telling mum about Da-Eun seemed like a bad idea.

"Well, talk to him."

"I will." I only smiled.

Yeonjun's grandma was visiting on the weekend. I thought it as a good opportunity to talk to him. He was so adamant on not talking to me. Probably scared that mum would rat him out. Or probably still embarrassed. I needed to tell him to cool off. That mum was all good.

"Rachel, you need to grab your chance." Grandma gave me a look. "Before all those girls start to flaunt all over him after he becomes famous, you should grab your chance."

"Halmoni, we're friends." I was smiling, but hurting inside. His grandma liked me for him, but we were not a fantasy. Nor was I God's favorite.

"What friends?" She narrowed her eyes. "That would be a waste. You two make a wonderful couple."

I chuckled. "Yes. Yes. I know."

I received a text from Yeonjun that he was waiting for me outside my house. I told him that I was in his house, but he didn't want to talk with people around. I frowned. What could he be saying that he asked me to come out? Yeonjun was in the sidewalk. He straightened up as soon as he saw me coming.

"Choi Yeonju-"

"I'm proposing Rachel. Tomorrow."