10 | I'm Romantic

Today was my birthday.

And surprisingly it was Yeonjun's day off as well. After having a birthday lunch with Da-Eun, I came home to my frienemy Choi Yeonjun. He handed me a cardigan like a stud, and quoted, "Your wardrobe fashion sense is really bad. I just know this color would suit you the most, so keep it."

My fingers felt the fabric and I looked up when he pulled other end of the cardigan and ripped off the price tag with his bare hand without even a blink. Well, that was hot. I chuckled at the thought and he raised his eyebrows. "Nothing," I mumbled, biting back my smile.

Mum was out for work, so Yeonjun could stay for a while in my room. Since we were getting older, we had some restrictions imposed over us. Couldn't blame adults though. I had a first hand experience in this department. I and Yeonjun laid side by side in bed. He had a lot in mind, I could tell.

"Song Rachel." His fingers played with mine and I turned my head to face him. "Don't leave me ever."

"Why do you say so?" I frowned.

"Yeosang left Bighit." His face was blank, but the weight of his words was clear as day that night. "Wooyoung followed him too. They are good friends, so I feel sad a bit, but... You." He met my eyes. "You're not allowed to leave me, okay? I won't allow it."

I cupped his cheek. "I won't," I assured. "Don't hurt me though. Ever. I won't be able to accept the one person who has been in my life more than myself hurt me. Okay?"

"What if I hurt you unintentionally?" Yeonjun covered my hand with his.

"I won't see your face ever."

He narrowed his eyes. "You're not allowed to hurt me too then."

I stuck my tongue out. "What if I hurt you unintentionally?"

"I would haunt you to your grave."

He stared at me and I stared back. Then I burst out laughing. "Oh my God! You and your dramatic ass." I curled by his side, still shaking with laughter.

"I'm not lying though," Yeonjun muttered, and I raised my head to see him pouting. "I would become so successful that you'll have to see my handsome face everywhere. I'll haunt you day and night, Rachel. I promise."

My cheeks hurt from smiling. "Okay, big man," I replied, messing his hair.

He grumbled and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards him. "This Da-Eun girl, is she becoming your close friend. Closer than me?" His question wasn't surprising. Choi Yeonjun had a habit of being possessive.

"She's a good friend, but you're number one." I knew he was closer than appropriate distance. I knew that I should move back, but didn't. The relief in his eyes after my words melted me. "You're my frienemy. She's not even close."

"She better not be." He pinched my cheek, and pulled me into his arms. "Ah-I missed you. So much. These past months without you were hell."

I smiled. "I'm finally of your age now. Seventeen. Gosh, we'll be turning 18 soon." Something struck me then. "You're going to debute soon."

"Why are you so sure that I'll debute?" Yeonjun pulled away and stared down at me. "I mean, we all will have to go through a debute evaluation-"

"You're not called Bighit legendary trainee for no reason, Choi Yeonjun." I stared into his eyes. "I hope you don't pretend to not know me when you finally debute."

"I'll never pretend not to know you, Rachel. Never."

We went to a Haunted house next day. No surprise, Yeonjun screamed his lungs out during the whole trip, and held on to me. Yeonjun even bought me an Exo album, and I hugged him. I hugged him so tight that he complained about me squeezing his wind pipe. That he couldn't breathe properly. He and his dramatic ass.

"We'll turn 18 next year." Yeonjun sighed as we both walked towards the bus stop. It was one of those days when I was visiting the library nearby. We were going home together. "I already have an idea what I want from you on my next birthday."

"What?" I asked and he grinned at me. He was growing taller. I would break my neck soon looking up at him if he grew up any more than he already had.

"My wish is for you to call me Yeonjun-ie."

I made a disgusted expression and he pushed my face away. A laugh bubbled out of me and I shuddered at the prospective of acting cute in front of him, or calling him like that. He was Choi Yeonjun. I couldn't possibly do that.

"Don't laugh." He sulked. We both got into the bus. There was only one seat left and Yeonjun gestured me to take it.

I shook my head. "You had a long day." I pushed him down to sit. "Just rest up and take a nap. I'll wake you up when we reach home."

He really was tired because he didn't put on a fight and closed his eyes, smiling softly. I watched over him till we got home. Yeonjun yawned and threw an arm around my shoulder as we staggered on the street. "Are you not writing anymore?" His voice was raspy.

"I am. I'm preparing for the project submission for the university program," I told him. He peeked an eye open. "Sana unnie is helping me out."

"Sana unnie? Wait, your favorite author?" Yeonjun asked and I nodded eagerly. "You met her? When? How come I didn't know it?"

"Yeosang told her I'm a fan that night. I don't know when, but yeah he did the magic." I grinned wide. "From that day on, I started hanging out with Sana unnie. She's a sweetheart and-"

"Yeosang did that. For you." Yeonjun stiffened and pulled away from me. "And you never told me-wait, you came to the restaurant that day with him. How come I'm out of the loop?"

I frowned. "Choi Yeonjun. You were busy with training. It slipped my mind. It's no big deal-"

"No big deal? You fucking met your favorite author-and... you're applying for university-you used to tell me everything, Rachel. What happened?" Yeonjun threw his hands in air. "What's going on?"

"Why are you so mad?" I stepped back, baffled. "Jesus. Yeonjun, you don't even have a time to listen to me anymore and I understand. You've got training to do, but don't come at my face saying nonsense like this."

"Instead of saying sorry, you want to fight?"

"Are you even hearing yourself? God, Yeonjun we're grown ups. Busy with our own lives." I started walking home. "Why am I even telling you this when you don't want to understand me in the first place."

"Running again? Just say you've got new friends and get over with it!" He shouted. "Just don't come running back when they leave you like everyone else!"

I stopped, hurt glistening my eyes, but didn't back down. "Yes, I've new friends who are far better than you!" I screamed back. "And if they left me, I'll still be okay on my own. Not everyone needs people to tell them that they are well loved!"

Yeonjun stepped back, hurt. I realised I was crying when a tear rolled down my cheek. I didn't apologize, entered my house gate and went home. My head hurt. He did it again. He was making me hate him again. He slapped my insecurities on my face. Again! I fucking hated him. Again! I fucking hated Choi Yeonjun.

Choi Yeonjun could go to hell for all I cared.