Chapter 16

"What if it all turns out better than you could have ever imagined?"⭐
__

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. Or at least, not the first few minutes...

Before I even get to my office the secretary stops me.

Secretary: "Mister Carter wishes to see you in his office. Straight away."

Her little devil eyes glisten. Bitch. In Ancient Rome, she would have been the first to turn her thumb down!

Not feeling very confident I make my way to the office marked with the letters "CEO".

As I walk in, he's sat behind his huge Rosewood desk, already looking very busy.

Mister Carter: "Miss Mitchell. Take a seat."

I sit down in front of him being careful to cross my legs and place my hands upon my knees.

He's finishing something on his computer. Then he shuts the screen down.

Looks like it won't be short...

He leans his elbows against the desk folding his fingers. He gently taps his forefingers against his chin. His penetrating grey eyes are staring at me.

Mister Carter: "Are you fond of the work we do together, Miss Mitchell?"

Lexi: "Well... yes, the work is interesting."

Mister Carter: "Hmm..."

He pauses an instant, weighing the situation.

Mister Carter: "So why did you leave the gala ball without my authorization?"

Here we go...

Lexi: "In what way did the gala ball have anything to do with my work here? If you needed somebody to escort you there why didn't you ask one of your supermodels!"

What's gotten into me, speaking to him in this tone?! Have I lost it or what?

Carter seems surprised by the violence of my words. To tell the truth I'm shocked as well.

Mister Carter: "You think I invited you just to be pretty?"

Y/n: "Oh? Wasn't that the purpose of the priceless dress you lent me?"

Go on Lexi, if you're gonna be fired might as well get it all off your chest.

Mister Carter: "It isn't a loan. It's now yours. And that isn't the point. Your presence at the gala ball was part of your job."

Lexi: "Listen... I felt out of place during the evening... I'm not from the same world. I found it all... indecent."

I rather not mention that ridiculous auction that still makes my hairs stand on end. For that matter, did he win the "prize"?

Mister Carter: "Indecent?"

Carter's eyes squint and narrow. Their color becomes menacing. Ow.

Lexi: "Yes, that's right. All that showing off of wealth... It's so far from what the poorer people live, the people for which your foundation is supposed to work..."