Chapter 37

Youngblood

Say you want me/ Say you want me

Back in your life

Yaoyorozu's family had started getting themselves dressed for dinner at the Todoroki family home. Excitement pulsed through the air as the raven haired teen looked into the mirror for the hundredth time that afternoon, smoothed her hair down for the fiftieth time and checked her makeup for the seventieth time. She could hear her father pacing back and forth as her mother chose his clothing for the night. 'Casual' wasn't something the Yaoyorozu's were known for since they often hosted lavish parties for various charities, holidays and whatever else they felt the need to celebrate.

"Momo, dear?" her mother called. "What was the best color for your father again? I've got a blue, a green and a yellow shirt here and they all look divine, but I can't make up my mind which one to put him in."

"Don't worry so much about this, dear," her father remarked. "I'll wear the blue one since it was the first one you chose and I happen to like the color."

"Never mind, dear," her mother cheerfully called. "We'll be ready soon, I promise!"

Yaoyorozu chuckled to herself when she realized that her parents were just as nervous as she was. It was one thing to be a walking ball of nervous sweat when you're alone, but when your parents turn into them as well, you don't find yourself feeling like an idiot. Yes, she'd met many a hero on many an occasion, but never did one of those heroes call her and her family over to their house for dinner. It was indeed something to look forward to and a treat to see what her boyfriend's family was like.

In the midst of her reverie, her phone gave it's signature text tone for Todoroki-kun. Excitedly she rushed across the room to unplug her now fully charged phone to see the message left for her:

Mine:

We're almost done here, so I'll be heading

home for a quick shower.

Mine:

I do hope you and your family will enjoy

your time in my home.

Endeavor has told me we have a few more guests

joining us tonight because he wanted

witnesses or something. That isn't going to

cause any trouble, will it?

Thinking quickly, she opened the conversation and answered:

Yours:

Not at all. I'm certain they'll be more than

pleased for more people to be there.

Mine:

Thank goodness

I'd been a bit concerned when he told me

the news. It was an unplanned change that

even took the cook by surprise. She's been

in the kitchen hollering about it this whole

time. LOL

Yours:

I'm sure it will be fine. Mother and Father are both

really excited. I haven't seen them this excited since

I got my entrance exam results.

Todoroki walked into the family home's front door while reading the last message. He decided to simply say he couldn't wait for her to show up and then proceeded to walk to his room. Inside, he looked quickly through his clothing to see what he'd wear for the evening. His mind wandered to what Y/N would be wearing and thought to ask. He had just opened up the text message window when he stopped himself.

"She doesn't know she's coming here," he said. He had to remind himself of what Aizawa-sensei had said earlier about her lack of knowledge about where they were going that evening.

~~Flashback~~

"I'm not telling her we're coming to your place," Aizawa said as he kicked at the ground.

"Why not?"

"If she knew she was going to be back in the presence of the girl who nearly killed her, she wouldn't want anything to do with leaving the house, much less going anywhere near you."

"Is this why you had me come over the other night?" Todoroki asked bluntly.

"Of course," Aizawa blurted without a pause. "She wanted to see you, but the nightmares she had were of Yaoyorozu doing even more bodily harm to her for just being in your field of vision. No matter how much of a friend you are, she couldn't risk getting too close without fear of Yaoyorozu attacking like she did the last time. And, frankly, I don't blame her. Principal Nezu has been made aware of the situation and Shinso will be on hand this evening to force Yaoyorozu to speak the truth."

"I didn't realize that the attack was that bad," Todoroki said. "I don't mean to make it sound less than it was, but when I heard your anger over the phone to my father, I knew it was far worse than I had first believed."

"No one knew, and I made sure to keep it that way," Aizawa remarked. "There were so many things that could have gone wrong if Yaoyorozu knew Y/N was out of the hospital by that Sunday, and we didn't know if she had an accomplice to lie for her if she tried to tell some story. And the pain Y/N went through before she finally told me, the therapy she'll eventually need to get over the nightmares and the fact that she told me point blank how she felt about the whole thing and how everything had gone so wrong... She's beside herself with worry for everyone else in this situation and leaving herself out of it."

"I've learned quite well in the short time of knowing her that this is exactly the type of person Y/N is," Todoroki spoke with a small smile appearing on his lips. "She told me she liked me the night we accidentally kissed. She also told me she would give up her own feelings to make sure her friends were happy. These statements alone make me realize that no matter what, she wants everyone else to be as comfortable as possible and to hell with hers."

"Well, just this once, I'm going to look out for her whether she wants it or not," Aizawa said with conviction. "This situation went way out of hand and nearly damaged the career of a hero-in-training over something as petty as jealousy and obsession. I won't stand for it."

"And neither will I," Todoroki said with the same amount of conviction. "I will protect Y/N with all I have, Aizawa-sensei. I promise you that."

"I'll hold you to that, Todoroki."

~~Flashback End~~

Deciding on a simple outfit of a black turtleneck and a pair of dark denim jeans, Todoroki stepped into the bathroom to shower, his promise ringing in his mind clear as a cloister bell. He would protect Y/N with everything he had.