Chapter 31

'Cause I need it, yeah, I need it

All of the time

Yeah ooh, ooh, ooh

Todoroki did his best to keep his emotions in check. Now that he knew he had them and what they meant, he would do his level best to keep them reigned in. He didn't want to spoil the surprise that was awaiting her at his family home that weekend and he would do nothing to raise her alarm in order to make that happen, but his sense of loathing toward his girlfriend was rising with every moment. He knew she was up to something, but knowing what that is was something that troubled the boy to no end.

Letting his mind wander away from her actions, he thought about everything else that had happened that day. Never in his wildest dreams would he have believed how well L/N had managed to hold off the Big Three on her own. The battle among them was nowhere near one sided as was evident by the burns that they'd sustained, and he found himself praising her internally for her successes and gasping uncontrollably when she was struck down. Pride swelled in his chest for how well she'd done, knowing that he helped to make her as good as she was.

Shaking himself from those thoughts, he took a moment to look around the table. He wasn't happy about L/N missing dinner, but Tokoyami had mentioned that she was still a little sore from earlier and that Aizawa was making sure she ate. In some sense he could take comfort in that knowledge, but something was still off. Tokoyami didn't seem to be eating, instead pushing his food around with his chopsticks and occasionally taking in a tiny bite every now and again. It's true that Tokoyami isn't really known for being an outspoken individual, but Dark Shadow usually came out during dinner to occasionally steal from the table and eat on his own. Tonight, however, Dark Shadow hadn't once made an appearance. He was distracted, to say the least.

It took a few moments, but Yaoyorozu finally noticed that her Todoroki-kun was distracted away from her. Since the L/N girl wasn't at the table and wouldn't be for quite a while, she didn't think it was her that drew him away. She had no idea what was going on in his head, but the fact that he wasn't smiling at her like he had been earlier troubled her.

"Is there something wrong, Todoroki-kun?" she asked of him. He swiftly turned his head to look at her and a small smile appeared on his face.

"No, no. Nothing's wrong," he assured her while patting her hand. "I've been thinking of everyone's performance against the Big Three, and I wished that I hadn't done so poorly on the licensing exam so I could have participated is all. I feel so disappointed in myself that it won't leave me be."

"You shouldn't beat yourself up over the exam, Todoroki-kun," she assured. "You're going to pass it this next time, and maybe we'll be able to have a rematch against them in the future."

"It was one hell of a battle," Kirishima said while appearing to deflate. "I can honestly say I wasn't feeling to manly afterwards, but I'm glad I got to see where my weaknesses were so I can improve on them."

"It did kinda suck how easy it was for Togata to beat us," Mina admitted.

"Well," Ojiro said, "except for Midoriya."

"That's what a true hero does," Iida emoted while chopping the air. "They assess the situation and come up with a plan of attack that will give them the best outcome. We should all strive to be more like Midoriya when it comes to strategizing, and perhaps we'll all be better heroes for it."

"You mean you extras got to battle against third years?" Bakugo shouted.

"Yeah, ribbit!" Tsu said. "We got beaten pretty fast, too. We were surprised by the offer and had no time to prepare."