Chapter 22

And I'm just a dead man walking tonight/ But you need it, yeah, you need it

all of the time/ Yeah, ooh ooh ooh

"Why?" she whispered gloomily. Even after everything that had been pointed out to her by her closest friends and reiterated for her by her boyfriend, Yaoyorozu couldn't understand where she'd gone wrong and why Todoroki refused to stand still and listen to her explanation. She knew he had to leave and that he'd already made plans to go to his family's home, but it didn't do anything to lift her now waning spirits after being thoroughly dressed down by the object of her affections. Instead of going back down to the common area, she sadly walked to her room and closed the door softly behind her so she could cry and think in solitude.

~~Todoroki Estate: 2 Hours Later~~

Todoroki wiped the sweat from his brow while staring at the punching bag swinging on it's chain. Huffing breaths echoed through the room while his mind wandered to what occurred earlier that evening.

He had heard things from some of his classmates in passing, mostly whispered comments and stifled laughter, and tried to ignore them for the most part. He never wanted to believe that Yaoyorozu was so insecure about him being around other people that she would stoop to keeping him leashed to her side like some prized dog. She was intelligent, beautiful, powerful and rich. Well, her family was rich, but it meant she was by simple trickle down genetics. When he worked with her while battling Aizawa-sensei, he believed that the only reason she was a bit insecure at the time was because she was unsure how her quirk and reasoning compared with his. He was flattered at the thought, but he didn't see a single reason to believe that she had anything to be insecure about. She at least had control of her quirk. Todoroki knew his quirk was powerful, but there was no real sense of control when he allowed it to take over. His only real control over his quirk was nothing more than sending it in one direction, but when trying to do anything else, such as sculpting his ice to be something specific, he desperately fell short.

"Todo?" a soft voice called from behind him. He'd been so deep in thought he'd forgotten that L/N was even in the same room. Her voice was enough to jolt him out of his spiraling thoughts and bring him up short.

"What?" he asked confused and earning a soft chuckle from the girl before him.

"I asked if you're alright, but you didn't answer me. I thought something happened and you were hurt," she said while looking down at the ground. He looked at her down-turned face and saw the light pink sitting up on her cheeks.

"Oh, no," he said hurriedly before his mind wandered elsewhere once again. "I'm not hurt. Just thinking about something." Not trying to be rude, he put his towel over his shoulders and moved to the bench next to the wall where water bottles were set up. He sat down and sighed heavily, grabbing a bottle and opening the lid before taking a deep drink of the semi-cooled liquid. Before he knew it, however, L/N also grabbed a bottle of water and sat next to him. She took a deep pull from her drink before she turned to him again.

"What's on your mind?" she asked innocently. When Todoroki made no move to answer she hurriedly added, "I'm not trying to pry or anything, but you seem really upset and distracted about something and I'm worried you'll hurt yourself if you keep dwelling on it." After a few moments of contemplation, Todoroki turned to the chubby girl and spoke.

"I know you won't mention this if I ask you not to, so I would do that now," Todoroki said. When she nodded her head, he launched into his troubles head on.