Chapter 15

Remember the words you told me?/Love me till the day I die

Days went by like this. Always the same. Yaoyorozu would try as hard as she could to spend more time with Todoroki, but he would almost always be seen on his phone, always texting someone, smiling at random messages, making plans after school and on the weekends that didn't involve her. He would leave shortly after leaving class to hurry to his room only to shortly there after rush off to the bus stop or to a waiting car.

In between these incidents, Todoroki would constantly pamper her with attention that seemed...halfhearted. He would sit with her at lunch and feed her bits from his tray in between bites from his cold soba. He even brought in some small desert tarts and shared those with her as well, making her extremely pleased he'd thought of her.

She'd thought, at first, that Todoroki-kun had made an effort to find out what one of her favorite deserts was and decided to surprise her with them, but one afternoon she'd seen L/N with the exact same tarts. She wanted to believe they were different than the ones Todoroki-kun had brought for her, but that was until she heard...

"Where the hell did you get these?" Bakugo grumbled.

"What?" L/N asked with worry on her chubby features. "You don't like them?"

"How could he not like them?" Kirishima shouted jovially. "These things are so awesome!"

"W-where did you g-get these, L/N?" Midoriya asked rather shakily.

"Oh! I made them," she answered happily. "I made them before and Bakugo liked them, so I made a bunch again today. I brought them to share with everyone, so take as many as you like."

"I'm surprised Bakugo took some," Jiro said in awe. "He hates sweet stuff."

"It isn't that I don't like sweets, dammit!" he protested loudly. "I just don't like when its too sweet."

"That's what you said last time," L/N chuckled.

"These fuckin' things aren't that bad, I guess," Bakugo muttered softly before raising his voice. "Just be glad I ate some this time, Fluffy. And be even more glad I took some for later!"

"Don't worry," L/N said with a smile as she threw her arms around Bakugo's shoulders, "I brought some extras in sealed boxes for you guys." Bakugo's face bloomed in a red blush as he looked down to see a small blue box set before him...which Yaoyorozu now noticed was the identical colored box to the one Todoroki was currently feeding similar looking miniature tarts to her.

"Y-you mean you brought more just for me?" Bakugo stuttered softly.

"Yup," Y/N answered just as softly. "I made this special batch just for you with less sugar since you aren't a fan of sweet stuff."

"You brought in so many boxes, Fluffy. How can you tell them apart?"

"It isn't the box that's different," she mentioned. "Its the tarts. The filling will turn a bit lighter if you add the exact amount of sugar. Yours are slightly darker because there isn't the same amount of sugar in them." Bakugo looked down at the tarts and really couldn't tell the difference, but decided to accept her explanation nonetheless.

"Thanks," he muttered before moving off toward his room before anyone else noticed his blush...which everyone did.

Yaoyorozu looked down at the box that her Todoroki-kun held out toward her and realized that he hadn't actually bought something special for her. Instead, he had just gotten it from L/N and offered it to her. Disappointment ran through her veins like ice from her boyfriend's quirk, instantly deadening any happiness she had toward the gift he bestowed. But she couldn't let that show in his presence. She couldn't allow that to be the thing he saw when he looked at her because this was one of the few times he actually was looking right at her instead of at his phone.

"Thank you, Todoroki-kun!" she said with false excitement. "How did you know these were my favorite?"

"I notice a lot about my love," he responded smoothly. "Its important for me to know the things you like and hate, especially if we're to be together." This statement brought Yaoyorozu up short. Could it be that he already knew they'd be married? Could he truly know what had been in her mind all this time? Did he really love her as much as she loved him? Would he love her until the day she died like she would for him?

Her revelry was instantly quashed like a campfire with water as he suddenly reacted to the sound of a text notification. Without a second thought, he thrust the box of tarts into her hands and pulled his phone from his pocket, his eyes alight with anticipation as they looked over the screen. Her hope waned when that smile reached his lips and stretched across his face. The same smile that she'd never gotten from him caused by messages that weren't from her.

"Just a moment, my love. I have to answer this," was all he said before moving away from her and everyone else, his attention taken up by the phone in his hands and the conversation that had nothing to do with her. Sighing heavily, she turned toward the kitchen island and sat down heavily on one of the stools, her mood turning sour with every passing moment.