Pisces

My name is Catherine Sarajevo. I was born in the year 2979. I am a Pisces. As the mermaid of the zodiac, I am emotionally aware, gracious, sympathetic, imaginative and I go to great lengths to ensure the happiness of others. I was born on the planet Neptune. My mother Nena was a siren. My father Harold was human. An earl of Neptune. He was supposed to be her prey but when she looked into his eyes, she didn't end his life instead, Nena saved him from the wreckage that her Siren sisters caused to his ship.

Nena knew the other Sirens would tear her apart if they knew she had spared a human. But before she could swim to her grizzly fate Harold talked her out of it and placed her in his home to thank her for saving his life. Over the years, they grew to love each other. One year after their wedding night, my mother, Nena gave birth to me.

My childhood was a strange one. After my father taught me how to read, write and talk to the nobility of Neptune, Nena would teach me how to swim and breathe underwater. I was a quick learner and exceeded the expectations of both of my parents. When I came of age at eighteen, I was allowed to travel on my own. The first place I went to was Zodious for the summer festival. 

The last time I was on this planet was for the funeral of Queen Jenifer and the coronation of her daughter Amber. I had felt such heartache for the young Queen. I prayed that she would not lose herself in a deadly vice. But when she approached me at the summer festival, I could smell the whiskey on her breath.

"Here hold this." She slurred as she gave me her newborn baby. Not wanting her to be hurt in her drunken state, I had taken the Queen back to the palace and sat her in the throne room while I sang the baby to sleep.

When her advisor Aaron finally found her, I had to give him a piece of my mind for leaving Amber alone with her newborn while drunk. After Amber woke up from her drunken state, she called me to the throne room where she thanked me for taking care of Kiara and then, she asked me to become the Royal Governess.

I immediately said yes. I had many young cousins that I had taken care of in Neptune and I had such a love for children. Amber made me a room next to the nursery and my work began the next day. Kiara was definitely a handful; she wanted what she wanted and if she didn't have it, she would throw a tantrum. It did take time, but Kiara had gotten used to me.

When Amber adopted Natalia, I fell in love with her so quickly. She was this beautiful brunette baby with the cutest smile I had ever seen. She was a curious and enthusiastic girl. And even though Kiara did not like her at first, she did not care and always tried to get close to her. She was gentle with animals and was always excited to get ready for balls. I personally enjoyed getting her ready. I knew she would make a very good Queen. That's what Amber and Aaron always said.

When Amber had told me she adopted another baby, I was over the moon and so were the girls. Lynn instantly took a liking to me. Always playing with my hair and calling me pretty. Even though she loved dressing up, she also loved getting dirty and playing in the garden; but above all, her favorite place was the beach. When she was six, I caught her trying to sleep in the sand. And while I had to break up many fights between her and Kiara, they always made up in the end.

Finally when Reilly was born, I fell in love all over again. She was the sweetest little baby and the most energetic toddler. Picking flowers and making bouquets for me and Amber. Her sisters absolutely adored her. Natalia had an instant urge to protect her whatever Kiara picked on her. Lynn always wanted to do her hair. Her two older sisters loved Reilly to death and so did I. They say not to play favorites but Reilly was an exception.

When the girls and I went to the beach for the first time, I taught them how to swim and even showed them my mermaid tail

When the girls and I went to the beach for the first time, I taught them how to swim and even showed them my mermaid tail. They were all enthralled by my tail and were quick learners in the water. Natalia immediately started to lead her sisters. Kiara refused to listen but Lynn and Reilly followed along with her improvised swimming techniques. It was such a treat to watch them have fun in the sea.

I was only allowed days off on the weekends. On those weekends, I would visit my family back in Neptune. During my stay with my family, I met a merman named Dominic and we hit it off. Let's just say we had an intense passionate night under the sea. Unfortunately, a few weeks later, I discovered that I was pregnant with not one, but three babies.

I told Amber, thankfully she understood and allowed me to give birth and raise my babies. She told me that my services were no longer needed as Natalia was learning from me and already taking care of her sisters just as I would. When I told the girls about me leaving, of course they were upset but mostly joyful.

Natalia, Lynn and Kiara were happy about my pregnancy. Unfortunately, Reilly was devastated. She thought that I was going to leave her forever. I consoled her for hours until she fell asleep in my arms and I promised her that I would stay until her fifth birthday, which was only a week away.

The week leading up to Reilly's fifth birthday, I noticed Aaron had gotten distant from the girls and Amber. I had only seen him briefly at her birthday ball. He danced with each of the girls once before disappearing from the ballroom. In the middle of the night, I heard a commotion that woke me up. When I saw a scantily clad Aaron and another woman being dragged down the halls, it finally hit me. Aaron was being unfaithful with Amber and he was  caught.

I tried my hardest to comfort Amber, but she screamed at me to leave. And so I did. I said goodbye to each of the girls one last time and that's when I swam back to Neptune. I tried to get in touch with Dominic, but he wanted nothing to do with me or the children. I told my father what Dominic had said to me, let's just say after my father was done with him, Dominic was nothing more than a bunch of sea foam.

When I had given birth to my three babies, it was a painful and miraculous time. But when I saw their smiling faces, I felt the same way as I felt with the princesses. I had two girls and a son. I named them Athena, Helen and Hector. 

Months after the triplets thirteenth birthday, I saw someone floating in the sea. It was a cold night and that person was not moving. I swam out to the rescue them and when I discovered that it was Aaron, I was in shock. As much as I wanted to question why he was here, I was too busy saving him from catching hypothermia.