CHAPTER 54

Shay's POV

The days quickly flew by and Jason and I regularly meet up to discuss the next steps of the plan. Things were slowly starting to progress in a positive way and our cosmetic products received a great profit rate this week and I felt more than happy when I checked the feedback report from the duty-free stores in San Francisco International Airport. Our plan is slowly working and I'm learning a few things from the guideline that Jason gave me and everything about becoming an executive director is nothing I can't handle. Yet, the way Shelby described her job was like a huge burden that she's secretly trying to get rid of. It's no wonder why she wanted Shawn's position in the company so bad.

Sometimes I stayed late at the office just to finish my share of work in a day and then later work on my SFO project. I kept checking the deadlines, review the weekly reports, read the feedback and replied to pending emails sent from business clients and other work departments. One reason why I wanted to do all this late at night was because I wanted to avoid going home. Dad has been released from the hospital a few days ago but the doctor said that he should not work at the time being to recover his health and have lots of bed rest.

As usual, I also planned to stay back at work for a while to finish some paperwork but when I checked my phone, there was a short text from mom wanting me to come home early tonight because dad had requested for all of us to have dinner together because apparently, he has an announcement to make. I managed to complete half of the pile of paperwork on my desk and then finally decided to leave, I turned off the lights in my office and then went to my car parked in the parking lot and finally went home.

To my surprise, they were all seated around the table and the maids were already serving dinner and there was a slight difference with the atmosphere in the room tonight. Kind of like, something big was about to happen and I will definitely hate it. It was also like the first feeling that I got when I sat down at the table and noticed the proud smile on mom's and Shelby's face. After dinner being served, dad suddenly cleared his throat out loud and we all turned and looked at him.

"I have some good news to share. Thanks to Shelby for managing to get Mr. Kolinsky to give our company a ranking, we are now one of the top five successful companies in America. Thank you Shelby and I am proud to say that you're the only sole successor in this family. If your brother was still here he would be happy for what you did for the company when we've nearly hit rock-bottom. You've outdid yourself again."

I highly doubt Shawn would be happy for her, knowing the kind of relationship they have. If only you knew dad.

He started to applaud her and mom and Shelby robotically followed with huge smiles on their faces. I reluctantly did the same and quickly flashed Shelby a smile when she glanced at me. She managed to get ahead of me and with that kind of praise from dad, she can definitely get what she wants if she asks him for it. But still, I'm not letting that happen yet. I can find a way to stop dad from giving her Shawn's position until I present the good monthly review from my SFO project after two weeks. I can still stall for some time. Dinner proceeded as normal but the minute she shot me that sinister smile, my mood turned sour and so did my appetite.

********

After dinner, I went outside to her office to congratulate her about her big achievement. Though I also intended to remind her that she's not going to win soon because Jason and I are expecting a great result after my interview at Selina's Beauty Show tomorrow. It will be much bigger than getting our company a good ranking. I walked into the room and found her standing near the new fireplace with a glass of red wine in her hand. She turned around and greets me with a smirk.

"What do you think of my new office?" I glanced around the room and shrugged my shoulders.

"Gloomy, but it's nice. Congrats for getting us a good ranking."