CHAPTER 23

Shay's POV

Days turned to weeks, and weeks slowly turned to months. No news or update from the people investigating Shawn's case that now, everyone that I know are almost sure that he's really dead. For the past two months, I stopped going to work and just remained in my big empty room and only coming out when it's time to eat or going outside for some fresh air. Dad kept himself busy at work every day trying to run the business on his own now that Shawn is not here anymore. He's also been contacting the detective leading Shawn's missing case and providing all the help that he can just to assist them with anything.

Honestly, I think the only reason why he wants them to find Shawn alive so he can return home and handle the mess and chaos he had created ever since the news about him being missing was released on the news. It's true, dad never really cares about him and now that he's approaching a certain age in life he might not be that 'fit' enough to get back to work and handle all the pressure all over again, which is why he relies on Shawn a lot. I bet he's not even sleeping at night and just waiting for the detective's update everyday hoping they would find Shawn alive.

Luckily, I have Sylvia to thank for when it comes to work related issues. She managed to convince my manager to let me take a few weeks break from work because I have a family matter to take care of. Sylvia is a pro when it comes to convincing, it's no wonder why Jason hired her to work for him because he will be needing her when it comes to dealing with his business clients.

Jason...

Just the thought of him brought a small smile to my face. I had to admit, I feel like hell for not properly talking to him for the last couple of days or even replying back to his messages. He was the only guy in my life that I've really started to like which is why I have decided that this was the only best option to not let him get entangled in my complicated life. It's better that he shouldn't know the truth about me and not get involved in my life and I've already decided that, as soon as I get back to work I will talk to him and officially end things between us.

Funny how I wanted to end things first, when we just barely started dating.

When Jonas came to my room to tell me that lunch was ready, I was already dressed and sitting on my bed and just staring at myself in the vanity mirror. My mind was blank but there were a million things bothering me all the time but today, I just blocked everything out from my head and prepare myself for another intense day just pretending that everything is normal in this house as if we didn't just lost a dear family member two months ago with no idea whether he's still alive or dead.

I made my way downstairs keeping my eyes on the ground and walked into the dining room area where I found my father already seated along with Shelby and Shanelle. The maid pulled my chair out for me and I sat down next to Shanelle but not before staring at the empty seat in front of me where Shawn used to sit. Tears starts to prick the back of my eyes and I quickly blinked them away and stared at my food being served on the plate in front of me.

The thick tension in the air starts to feel heavier and heavier every passing minute as soon as everyone starts eating in silence. I reached out and grabbed the glass of water in front of me and took a few huge gulps before placing the glass back on the table, earning a side glance from Shelby. Mom suddenly entered the room and she walked towards the table and then stood beside dad and glared down at him.

"Are you happy right now?" She questioned dad loudly who continued to eat without even acknowledging her.

"Are you all feeling happy right now?! You just lost a brother and a son and you're all here acting as if nothing happened!" She screamed at us.

Dad angrily dropped his fork on his plate, wiped his mouth with a napkin and leaned back in his chair and finally looks up at mom.

"If you're gonna keep reacting that way than get the hell out of the room. We're trying to eat in peace here for God's sake!"

Mom smirked and starts clapping her hands loudly.

"Oh yeah, sure! Pretend all you can because that's just the real monster you are! You're not even grieving for your son right now who's still missing and god knows where he could be floating in the middle of the ocean right now with sharks feasting on him!"

I slowly placed my fork and knife down and just stared at the table and crossed my fingers really hard that they would just finish this endless conversation in the bedroom or somewhere so I can finish my goddamn lunch and escape back to my room.

"Jesus, mom." Shanelle piped up and pushed her plate away with a disgust look on her face.

"Have you been drinking?" Dad asked while standing up and glaring back at mom.

"So what? At least I have a sorrowful reason to do so! Some father you are........you don't even care that your son might be dead right now. All you care about is your m-money and your stupid secret wo-woman that you're having a private affair with! And your stu....stupid company!"

I glanced at Shanelle and she shot me the same look back.

Dad is having an affair?!

"That's it! Will someone escort her to her room and keep her there till she's sober? I did not take an early break from work for this! Will someone get her out already?"

Dad called out to the maids standing nearby and Jonas immediately rushed in to the room and gently grabbed mom's arm to take her outside.

"No!" She shrugged his arm away and glared back at dad with tears visible in her eyes.

"You're a monster!" Dad sighed and signaled to Jonas with his fingers, to take her away.

Before Jonas could grab mom's arm again, she suddenly pulled the tablecloth and threw everything down on the floor taking everything along with it. The food, the plates and the glasses, all shattered on the floor in a loud mess. We all jumped up from our seats and backed away from the table in shock.

"Mom!" Shelby angrily snapped at her.

She just smiled and laughed and finally let Jonas dragged her out of the room as if she didn't just destroy the table and our lunch. We remained standing, none of us saying a word after witnessing the first chaotic episode from our mother in the first time in forever. We were all tense and it was obvious that our father was also ready to explode as well. Shawn was the only reason why my mom is at peace with her life, but now that he's gone.....

Who knows what other worst things she will do and what other chaotic episode we will be witnessing next time if she's still finding it hard to accept that her beloved son is really gone?