CHAPTER 38

Jason's POV

"What are you doing here?" She smiled without replying and then sat down and crossed her legs.

"I was in town so I thought I'll pop by and see you."

I clenched my jaw, a common habit that I tend to do when I feel annoyed, but Aria's unexpected arrival today was making me feel more than that. We had broken up 5 months ago and we have no business together anymore and plus, I think I had removed her contact details from my phone a long time ago yet I still can't figure out the real reason she's here. That's just how she is, always unpredictable. She eyed the watch sitting in front of me and quickly grabbed it before I had the chance to take it and keep it safely under my desk. She stared at the watch with interest, like a cat slowly observing the mouse before devouring it.

"Nice watch. Was it a gift?" I cleared my throat before forcing myself to answer her question.

"Yes."

"Was it from the girl that was here a while ago? I ran into her outside."

She pulled the black case towards her and slowly placed the watch inside as if it's about to break.

"Why are you really here Aria?" She smirked and leaned back in her chair.

"Is she your new girlfriend? I saw the news about you two on some gossip magazine, quite an interesting story I must say."

She quickly avoided my question and that made me feel a little irritated and I looked at her with a serious face.

"I don't see any reason why you're concerned about something that's none of your business."

Her smile faded and she gave me a hard look.

"I know, but after I found out who she really is I know the real game you're playing here Jason. I know you, and I can guarantee that what you're doing to her is exactly what you did to me!"

I chuckled and leaned closer towards the table. "And what exactly am I doing?"

"Don't play dumb Jason. I know you're just using her, like seriously what is it with you and your revenge plans? Do you always have a thing for destroying people that are more powerful than you are?"

"That depends. But my relationship with Shay is different and that is something I don't feel like expressing it to you, so please leave I have work to do."

She smiled at me and slowly shook her head.

"She'll find out Jason, and trust me it'll get ugly the more you try to hide the truth from her."

I glared at her and nods towards the door. "You can leave now Aria, I am not going to ask you again."

The corner of her mouth quirked up and then she finally looked away and stood up while putting her sunglasses back on.

"It was nice to see you again Jason."

I watched her as she leaves the room till she's finally out of sight then I finally released an exasperated sigh. I slammed my fist down on the table and clenched my jaw tightly, just when I thought I had everything under control she decided to show up and ruin everything.

Fuck!

I just hope she never approach Shay or else she'll screw things up for me before I even have the chance to make things right again.

Shay's POV

Mom went overboard with lunch again. It was like we were having a mini party or something there were so much food on the table that I can't even choose which one to start eating first. There's salmon, steak, vegetable salad, pasta, chicken breast with baked potatoes on the side, pumpkin soup and a huge bowl of coleslaw. At first we started eating in silence, but when mom starts looking at me with a small frown on her face I knew straight away that my mood and my appetite will be ruin with whatever she was going to say.

"What's his name?" She asked me with a hard tone.

"Who?"

"The guy you're seeing."

Shelby and Shanelle immediately looks at me at the same time.

"Jason." Shanelle starts to giggle out loud and then she looks at mom.

"He was her boss before she quit that job. Can you believe it mom? Her own boss, geez!"

I rolled my eyes and drank my juice quietly.

"Mixing business with pleasure? A strong flaw that cannot be seen at a workplace. He's not fit to be a businessman." Shelby added and she quickly glanced at me before getting back to her food.

"You already know how this looks on our family. We don't need people paying us extra attention because of this kind of news which is why I agree with your father. You need to end this relationship now."

I immediately looked straight at her and I couldn't stop myself from gripping my fork tightly.

"I'm not doing that mom." She scoffed in disbelief and glanced at dad who was only concentrating on eating rather than contributing to this stupid conversation.

"Did you hear what she just said? She won't do it, can you believe this girl?!" She shrieked angrily.

"The news about your job at C&E Holdings and the news about your relationship has already affected our company's image more than you think. How? Because you're dating a man that is our main business rival don't you get it? Our numbers of clients have dropped and many of our business partners are pulling out because they thought we're being friendly with Cartwright because we allow you to go out with him." Said Shelby.

"I am not breaking up with Jason no matter what you say. This is my personal life and my relationship and you will not tell me what to do. I should've moved out by now but no, here I am! And the only reason why is because I agreed to do what dad says and that's the only time I will let you take control of my life. As for my relationship with Jason, there's a line here that I'm warning you about now. So stop telling me what to do!"

Mom threw her napkin on top of the table and laughed in a sarcastic way while staring directly at dad.

"Are you seriously not gonna say anything about this?!" She suddenly pressed dad.

He looked straight at me while chewing and then points the silver knife in his hand at me.

"Let her do what she wants, I've already warned her about Cartwright and soon she'll realize that I was right all along."

Mom threw her hands up in surrender and I looked down at my plate and released a low sigh of annoyance. I stood up from the table and placed my napkin on the side of my plate and excused myself from the room. I can't take the pressure anymore, nor can I handle being in the same room with them. Every time they say something to me or tell me what to do, the pressure of their words just drains the living energy out of me. I really wished my brother was here. He would be the only one to take my side and always support me.

I wished I could turn back time and go back to the day that he left for Hawaii. I wish I could have done something to make him stay and spend his vacation here in San Francisco instead, that way he wouldn't have left and taken that yacht and that accident would never happen. But the harsh truth is that it's not possible and he's never coming back. The only thing I can do now is just wish he was here by my side right now.