17. dark amber

🎵Fire — Two Feet

I can feel the rate of my heart beating incessantly inside my chest, matching along with the clicks of Aurelia's shoes against the wood floor. Despite her having been at my place before, she still looks around at her surroundings in wonder, and it's enough to sober me up entirely.

I don't think I'll get over this image of her being in my apartment. It feels less lonelier and far more brighter with her in it.

Just the sight of her, with her head tilted up as she increasingly grows more comfortable in my apartment, seems to still my world.

My pulse, however, is anything but still.

"Shall we have some whiskey?" I suggest, desperately needing the liquid courage to ease my nerves. Aurelia turns to face me, and I long to know what's running through that pretty little mind of hers as she gives me a small smile.

"Neat," she replies, and I give her a smile of my own in return as I walk over to the kitchen.

Of course. Anything for you, golden girl.

I get behind the island, and I can feel her presence behind me, as though her energy is radiating within the space between us. As though every cell in her body is reaching out to meet mine.

I lean down to reach into the cabinet to pull out a bottle of Jim Beam just as Aurelia joins me at the island, taking the same seat that she sat in the last night she was here. I fill two glasses and slide one across the counter to her, our fingers brushing.

Though the only sounds come from us sipping from our glasses and setting them back down, the room feels anything but silent; instead, it seems to be buzzing with the energy between this beautiful woman and I.

There always seems to be a sort of all-consuming, exhilarating, magnetic pull between the two of us, especially when we're alone. I study the way she brings her lips to her glass, tilting the rim upwards. When she sets it back down, she runs her tongue along her lips to collect the remnants of the whiskey there.

All that I think of next are other thoughts that involve that same tongue and mouth.

Aurelia's eyes flit up to mine, and when she notices that I'm already looking at her, her skin flushes. I enjoy how easy it is to make her blush.

So goddamned pretty.

Seeing that pink fill her cheeks and neck makes me want to brush her cheeks with my fingertips, to trace where the color ends and begins.

Aurelia downs the rest of her drink, but keeps her gaze on me. I do the same, refusing to waver or look away. Her usual molten honey colored eyes seem to darken to a deep amber; could it be the effect of the alcohol?

Those irises seem to burn with the same intense shade that they depict, burning right through me. Almost as if there are flames shooting right from her eyes, licking me down and setting me aflame.

"What are you thinking?" Aurelia asks me softly, tilting her head to the side.

I could ask you the same, sweet girl.

I smirk before taking a long sip from my glass. "You know, love," I start once I set my glass back down on the counter.

I can feel the full effect of the whiskey as I completely settle into my nerves; I lean over the island and as I raise my hand up to gently grab a strand of Aurelia's hair, her breath hitches. I fucking love the effect I have on her.