3. the face of a pretty girl

🎵Isn't It Midnight — Fleetwood Mac
🎵Africa — Toto

"A drink?" Aurelia asks, raising her brows up in surprise, her gaze following me as I slide out from the booth.

The expression is so animated, her honey eyes widened so large that I can't help the light chuckle that falls from my mouth. I nod, walking towards the bar counter and take a seat on one of the stools.

I know she's following behind me, and it's confirmed when she makes her way behind the bar, resuming her position. She stands across from me, and I'm able to see her clearly from this view.

She has very light, very faint freckles scattered across her cheeks. Under any other light, you wouldn't be able to see them.

"It's past closing time," she repeats slowly, and I can practically see the gears turning over in her head as she ponders over my request.

I just shrug, fueled by all the liquor I've drank tonight. Perhaps that's why I've had no reservations tonight; perhaps that's why I can't seem to curb my infatuation with the lovely bartender standing before me.

"So?" I say. "It's just us two in this bar. One drink with me wouldn't hurt."

Aurelia opens her mouth to speak, but I don't allow her a chance to deny me. "Please?" I add, feeling another stupid little pout from on my lips, but I can't seem to help it.

Aurelia closes her mouth, a faint smile creeping up onto her lips that makes me exhale in relief — this is a good sign, surely.

"One condition," she caves, and I mentally cheer in my mind. I could do that.

"And what's that?" I ask, raising my brows as I spin the empty glass in my hands.

"You tell me your name."

My name.

It's almost ironic; if it were anyone else, I'm sure the request would be so out there and unbelievable. But, Aurelia truly doesn't know me or recognize my face, and her wish is so innocent and ordinary, that it makes me smile. She just wants to know my name.

A breath of fresh air, she is.

"Well then, Aurelia...where are our drinks?" I smirk, and she shakes her head, another pretty smile forming on her pink lips.

I watch as she grabs the bottle of Jack Daniels — a change from my usual Jim Beam — and pours into two glasses. I pat the stool beside me as she slides me a glass and joins me on the other side of the bar.

"Whiskey?" I ask with a raise of my brow, intrigued by her drink of choice.

"I guess I'm more of a whiskey girl," she echoes my words from earlier, and I chuckle lightly, darting out my tongue to run across my bottom lip. I'm impressed.

Aurelia takes a sip from her glass, her gaze flickering away from me as she does so.

"Well, I'm happy to see that you can keep up with me," I tease, a small smirk on my lips. "Hard liquor is no joke, you should know better than anyone."

I motion towards the bar, where shelves upon shelves of liquor and spirits are lined up. To be a bartender — a notable one too, at that — requires a vast knowledge of liquor. I take a sip from my glass, turning my attention back to Aurelia before I speak again. The quick movement of my head makes my vision swim, a sure indication that I'm drunk.

"But you don't look like a whiskey woman," I say, looking at her. Aurelia doesn't look away this time. She holds my stare, cocking a brow.