Chapter 3 - A Moment In The Garden

She stepped back once she recognized who was outside with her. His figure towered over hers as he got closer. Still shocked at who was in front of her, the distance between them went unnoticed as it got shorter and shorter.

Emma's heart was beating out of her chest, making the breathing progress hard to achieve. He had to go before they were caught, but her body couldn't move to stop the situation and her mouth refused to open. She didn't care anymore if someone found them alone, unchaperoned. She only cared to hear his voice again as she craved it since their last meeting.

"Emma, it seems that we did not get to properly meet one another," Anthony noted. The crunching sounds of sticks below her feet caused awkwardness between the two.

"I would rather eat a child's dirt pie than speak to you, my lord." Emma sneered, rolling her eyes at the conceited man. Anthony became fed up with the unappreciative woman and snapped.

"Have I done something to you? This morning you were gawking at me, I thought-" Anthony tried to explain, but was shortly interrupted.

"I was not gawking at you. Why you can be such a self-centered prick!" Emma spat. Anthony's looked dismayed at what words came out of the young lady's mouth. She peered at him, accidentally getting lost in his eyes.

"Care to explain what you are doing now then, Emma," Anthony said with a soft tone as he got closer to her. The way her name rolled off his tongue made her legs weak. She wanted to hear it over and over again until his lips met hers.

No no, this needed to end now, he scattered her feelings all over the place. She couldn't handle them anymore for they were far too strong for her.

"Mr. Bridgerton, it is rather scandalous for you to be out here alone with me." Emma ignored his remark and changed topics to more important matters.

"Can I not speak to a young lady outside now? It is awful what this world has come to." Anthony chuckled. Emma stared at him, unamused before replying.

"Not if you are a rake, my lord." Emma hissed as she gripped a tiny part of her frock and headed away from him. Anthony was taken aback by name-calling, he collected himself before following her. A force wrapped around her wrist and stopped her from continuing.

"You judge me before you even know me. I made mistakes, but I will not be judged for how I live my life. Especially not by a woman like you." Anthony snapped back before letting her wrist go. She turned to face him before spitting out her next words.

"Excuse me? And what kind of lady am I?" Emma questioned. Anthony carefully thought out his next comeback then loosened the cravat tied around his neck.

"An old spinster, who can not seem to grab any gentlemen's-" Anthony tried to finish his sentence, but was cut off.

"I am only twenty-two and I could say the same for you, as you too are NOT MARRIED!" Emma interrupted. She was now poking him in the chest every time she talked about him. They were too close for comfort. Their bodies nearly touched as they stared deeply into each other's eyes. The wind started to breeze through the midnight sky, causing Emma's gown to fly up. The white stockings she had worn that day showed for a split second before she slammed her hands down on the fabric.

"I can not stand here for another second with you. I will take my leave now." Emma added. She stomped over to the glass-shaped door, leading to the inside. Anthony's eyes watched as she did so, no longer paying attention to their argument.