Backstory

The garden was breathtaking to Emma. She couldn't help, but smell every single flower she laid eyes on as she pranced (skipping) down the rocky stone path. They were planted with love by her mama, who liked to garden in her spare time. When Emma got down to the end of the path she saw their pond. She sat on her knees and put her hands on the edge, where rocks aligned around the water. As she silently watched the fish swimming in the deep blue water, she heard a voice calling out to her.

"Emma dear, come eat and get away from the water before you slip in!" Judith said sternly, but out of love.

"Yes, mama!" Emma said as she pulled herself up from the ground and ran back to the house.

She stepped through the doorway, treading (walking slowly) into the kitchen where her mother was placing food on a tiny porcelain plate. She looked beautiful as ever while the sunlight beamed on her skin, causing it to glow as she moved. Lady Harrington noticed her a few seconds after, painting an upside-down rainbow across her face.

"Dear, take a seat. I made your absolute favorite!" Lady Harrington said as she finished setting up the table in the dining room.

"Mama, can I ask you something?" Emma curiously spoke before taking her seat.

Her mother looked at her with worry, wondering what could have been bothering the little brunette. Just before she could give her an answer, her husband and the other children walked in and took their seats. She put down the rag she was holding and sat at the table with the rest of them.

"What is it you need to ask your mother, Emma?" Thomas asked before sticking his utensil in the food.

"Uh-I-I want to live here in our cottage," Emma said embarrassed of what she was trying to ask of them.

Her parents stared at each other in disbelief. They thought she loved London for she would always ask to go back right when they would arrive at the cottage every summer. Judith placed her fingers on her lips while thinking of what to say next. Her papa let out a little cough and set his utensils down. He looked to his right where Emma was sitting.

"Bumblebee, we can not stay here," Thomas stated, reaching out for her hand.

Emma pulled away before he could. She got up from her seat and rushed back outside. Thomas jolted out of the wooden chair beneath him at the sight of her behavior. Judith grabbed his arm and looked at him, her eyebrows frowned, and her forehead furrowed.

"Do you think it's-?" Judith started but didn't dare speak on the topic.

"It has to be, I ought to check up on her. You wait here with them. I'll go my love." Thomas said softly to her as he kissed the top of her forehead.

Judith watched him as he followed Emma outside. She knew her daughter was going through a hard time after finding out about Lord Harrington being ill. She too was on the verge of crying every morning and night at the thought of losing her dearest husband. She sat back down, turning her attention toward her other children. The youngest Jenny, who was four at the time, stared into her mother's beautiful blue eyes and showed her a smile. In the seat beside Emma's vacant chair was their only son Luke, who was the eldest Harrington sibling. He shot her a disappointed look before opening his mouth.

"Mother, you can not expect her to be alright with everything going on. She is to lose father when she's only coming of eight." Luke advised then took another bite of the delicious cooked meal.