Chapter 14 - A Sisters Bond

Emma stood outside on the concrete porch of the Harrington estate, the cold breeze battered against her berry-red dress. Portions of her straighten hair fluttered in the wind while the rest was worn in a stylish updo. It was braided on both sides of her scalp then to the back of her crown, where a twisted bun was made. Emma's hand fan matched the color of her gown, she tapped it lightly in her right palm out of impatience. A white coin purse with a red rope tied the bag shut and hung around her wrist.

"You truly are stunning sister." Jenny admired as her body leaned against a pillar. Emma immediately turned towards the voice, sharing a kind smile and then hiking up the steps to her sister.

"It is rather inappropriate to stare, is it not?" Emma bantered. Jenny chuckled at her sister's comment and connected her arms. The two headed to the gate of the estate and began their stroll.

The girls stopped as they came across the local modiste, both deciding to have a look for the Featherington Ball coming up. As they entered the small shop, Lady Delacroix announced that she will be in the back organizing orders that have just been delivered by the post rider. Emma and Jenny nodded their heads as they started to take a look around the options.

"What of this one, sister?" Jenny asked, flaunting an orange fabric over her torso. The color made Emma nauseous and looked repulsive to her sister. She snatched the fabric from Jenny and mocked a certain Featherington.

"Follow along my daughters...and you two Penelope." Jenny joined in with a piece of green cloth wrapped around her bosom. "Why thank you for acknowledging my presence for once mama!" The girls laughed as they placed the items back on their racks.

"Do you like her?" Emma asked, failing to mention who she was talking about. "Penelope?" Emma nodded to her sister's answer. "I find her quite weird, she tends to hide in the shadows of others so no one notices she's gone," Jenny replied, taking another look at the prettier choices. "I am right with you," Emma added.

"Maybe she is Lady Whistledown." Jenny joked, letting out a snort at the idea. Emma laughed as well before commenting.

"If she was I would kill her, have you read what she recently wrote about Eloise?" Jenny nodded at Emma's question. "The mystery woman deserves to be caught and seized for her actions." Jenny protested.

"Let us hope a horse runs her over, I think I would enjoy such a sight." Emma joked. (Hopefully) Jenny laughed a little too hard, accidentally stumbling onto a small shelf full of measurements and knocking it over in the process.

"Quick Jen, come on!" Emma shouted, grabbing her sister's arm and rushing out of the shop before facing the scary, Lady Delacroix. They got halfway down the path of shops and they stopped for a breath.

"Do you think she will make us dresses still?" Jenny said sarcastically. Emma chuckled and then suggested they pray for even a nightdress on their honeymoons. As Jenny listened to her sister's humorous bantering, she spotted the local tea shop next to them.

Emma noticed the sign her sister was staring at and gestured to the door of the small building. Jenny accept the invite and entered as Emma opened the door. The girls minced over to the counter of pastries, and a kind young gentleman stepped over to them to quickly take their order. After telling him what they wanted, the two turned around to find a seat. The place was packed with members of the ton, making it hard for Emma to find anything open. A vacant table near the window caught her eye as she directed her sister to it and sat in one of the white chairs.

"Now that you had your fun give me the details," Jenny stated. "Must our only time together be because of problems?" Emma asked and frowned her eyebrows at her sister's assumptions.

𝐁𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐞 ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें