Chapter 13 - Once a Rake always a Rake

Gossip flooded from house to house. The muffles of loud chattering outside were enough for Emma to pick up the new scandal sheet, sitting on the windowsill. She placed the tip of her index finger on the first passage and read along.

—————— Lady Whistledown ——————
Society papers

Dearest readers, did you miss me?

I apologize for merely lacking in my duties of the ton, but I have come with rather scandalous news! Over the last couple of days our dear, Emma Harrington, was caught in a gunfight. Perhaps, to save the one who owns her heart?
I am here to impart to you that the young lady is to fully recover from such horrific injuries, soon.

Now on to other matters, gentle reader, the diamond of the season was seen being courted by Lord Blandford at the Bridgerton ball. Will we be graced with a wedding between the two?

I do hope you have all stored a decent portion of champagne for the soon-to-be occasion.

                           Yours truly, Lady Whistledown.

——————————————————————————

Emma tore the thin piece of paper in half, letting it float to the floor. She observed the outside from the white window, seeing the Bridgerton family standing near a carriage while talking. She caught sight of the Viscount as he assisted his sisters into their seats, looking charming like always. The organ beating in her chest grew bigger and bigger with every second that passed. It was hard to see him after yesterday. Emma didn't know what he did exactly to betray her, but she could only imagine.

Suddenly, she saw a group of women come to a stop by the eldest Bridgerton, interrupting their daily stroll just to look at him. The ladies gathered around Anthony, words slithering from their desperate tongues. Their giggles sounded shrieking to Emma's ears as she cringed at the view. After enduring the gibberish fangirling coming from the ladies' mouths, Anthony kindly bid the women goodbye and escaped into the carriage with the others.

The bones in her legs became weak, causing her to lose her stance and slip to the floor. She cradled herself in her arms as the heartache took over her body. 'Men are worst than pigs.' Emma thought.

The chamber door creaked open, slowly revealing her mother. She walked over and bent down to meet her daughter's eye level. "I know you will not tell me what happened days ago, but if the pain is still too much to bear, you ought to rest." Lady Harrington suggested while lifting the girl's chin with a finger.

"I have only been grazed mama, the wound is healing just fine," Emma assured as her mother caressed her cheek. She looked into her puppy eyes and realized what was troubling her daughter.

"You know before I met your father, I would go and drink pints of beer with all kinds of gentlemen." Lady Harrington bragged, smiling at her daughter's reaction. "Mama, you ruthless woman!" Emma laughed, lightly pushing away Judith's arm which caused her to laugh too.

"That is beside the point, I know of you and the Viscount." Lady Harrington confessed as she rested her hands on her white and yellow gown. "How did you-" her mother interrupted, "I am not blind dear and also Violet informed me." The room grew silent for a couple of minutes.