𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐔𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑

Start from the beginning

"Shit." He murmured, looking at the burning food, completely lost. Callisto hurried over to him and took the pan off the stove, transfering the pancakes on a plate, before she placed the pan in the sink.

"Listo."

"Yes."

"Merry Christmas." He smiled, resting his head on her shoulder. He kissed her cheek, as he wrapped his arms around her. He could still smell the remnants of her perfume; it was as if it was blending in with her skin now, exuding just the faintest scent of amber. "I love you."

"Always." She promised, letting her rest fall on his. "You still burned the fucking pancakes though."

"In my defense, I had something better to focus on." Remus stated. "I can make new ones..."

"They're not that bad, I'm sure." She casually said, peering at the burned pancakes. "They are probably just burned on the outside."

"You think?" She looked up at him, his brown eyes lighting up. She couldn't really tell him now that they could eat straight up coal and it would probably be less dry, so she just nodded and took the plate in her hands, along with two mugs.

"Wanna go eat on the roof?"

Remus didn't need to be asked again. He grabbed the kettle full of coffee and followed her up the staircase leading to the roof, not caring about the chilly wind around them. Snow had fallen thick through the night, covering every building in sight with a white veil. He didn't feel as cold as he should, wearing only his thickly knitted sweater.

Callisto sat down on the ledge, bringing her knees closer to herself as she watched the snow fall around them, pulling the sleeves of her own sweater to cover her hands. She never felt all that cold, but her hands were constantly freezing. She hated it more than anything; it felt as if she couldn't function when her hands were cold. She always kept a spare pair of gloves in her bag just for this reason, her fingers sticking out through the holes giving her all the mobility she needed.

"It's so quiet..."

"It's actually because of the snow." He stated. "It works as an insulator."

"Or, the entire neighborhood is dead, and there's only us two left." Callisto hummed, drinking some of her coffee. "Did you think of that possibility, smarty pants?"

"I'll stick with my theory." Remus snickered, looking over at her. Snow was starting to decorate her hair, the white snowflakes contrasting the dark color. Her nose and cheeks were flushed red from the cold and she had let her head rest on her knees as she looked at the buildings.

"What did you get James?"

"A sleigh." She deadpanned. "Might as well put his animagus in good use."

"Oh, he's gonna kill you with the star..." Remus laughed. "You two are the same, you know."

Callisto raised an eyebrow.

"Sirius had been staying for a few weeks every year with James since second year, but he moved in permanently there after fifth year. It was Christmas, and we were all gathered around the fireplace. I-I had fallen asleep, but Peter and James were awake." He said, his finger running over the rim of his cup. "They heard someone knocking on the door. Naturally, they got scared."

"Was it Sirius?"

Remus nodded, "All bloodied up. He was shivering, Callisto. He had walked the entire way like that, bleeding and trembling. James didn't allow him to go back to Grimmauld place again after that."

"They're both good men."

"Would it be wrong for me to assume you found Nicholas knocking on your door in the middle of the night one too many times, trembling even though the weather wasn't cold?" Remus asked, turning to look at her. "And would I be wrong if I assumed that the reason Regulus spent so many nights in your dorm, was because something happened during the Easter break and you never told anyone?"