From Afar {9}

"No, it's not fair!" Ollie's voice echoes through Beast Mode Fitness as I walk into work

"No, it's not fair!" Ollie's voice echoes through Beast Mode Fitness as I walk into work. Her voice has my heart drumming against my chest and pulling me like gravity toward it. As I get near the office, I can see Andy getting up from his desk and crossing the small office through the window separating his office from the main gym area. A scowl deepens the age lines on his forehead as he slams the door closed, muting whatever argument they're having.

It isn't often that she and Andy fight. He's a pretty lax dad, so when they get into arguments, it's usually over her breaking one of the few rules that he lays out for her. As Andy passes the window, he points a stern finger at her. His muffled voice is impossible to make out through the thick window pane, but by the way, Ollie's face scrunches up in an angry pout. I can tell whatever Andy told her has her completely livid.

A thawk and jingle draws my attention away from the office and Miles practicing combinations on the top-heavy angle bag. The bag swings dramatically with each punch, slowing the throws he takes down as he waits for the black back to settle.

I'm here to work, not to try and eavesdrop on a conversation that I have no business in.

It's like my feet are stuck in wet sand as I pull myself away and walk across the soft black rubber mats to him. Miles needs a spotter, so I brace against the back of the bag to help steady it, making it to where he can throw his combinations faster.

Course, while I'm here, it wouldn't hurt to ask questions about what's going on between Ollie and Andy.

Miles' punches send a pulse through me with each hit as a driven, focused force molds his face into a fighter's scowl. I know I shouldn't distract him, but my curiosity rises higher and higher with each shade of red Ollie's face turns.

"What's going on in there?" I nod to the office. I'd probably know if it wasn't for the fact that I've aggressively avoided Ollie for a month, giving her all the space she needs. Unfortunately, I've been losing my ever-loving mind in the process too. All I can think about is her and how much I miss our movie nights or hanging out at the beach. I can't even sleep at night because my dreams are filled with fun nights of mini-golfing, swimming in the ocean, or on particularly torturous nights, passionate sex.