40.

'Ella'

I felt my body get moved along the pavement away from the awful place behind. My dad was next to me, walking at the pace of the medics that were pushing me away from the house.

I felt confined to the bed, straps were over my body, to keep me safe and to stop me moving. 

My eyes were on the sky and an oxygen mask had now been pulled over my mouth. My breathing had got more rapid and uneven.

It hurt so bad.

"Els" The pain in my ears heard Luke, I knew it was Luke. Blinking a couple of times, I hoped that I could see them. I could, the three of them stood there, over me.

One by one, they kiss my forehead, stroking the hair out of the way.

My eyes close and the ringing in my ear continues.

Voices are heard around me but it's muffled and all I hear is talking and ringing in my ears.

And soon all I could see was darkness.

'Luke'

The three of us were sat at the hospital bed side. 

It was super early. Like 6am.

Ella had to have surgery on her chest.

Jim had stayed with Ella all night but then when we got here, he went home for a shower and to grab a few of Ella's things.

She haven't woken up yet.

It was the next day since we found Ella. She had the surgery yesterday afternoon.

The doctors said that it's best she rests and sleeps for the time being because as well as mentally ill, she was now physically injured which is not going to be good for her. At all.

For a couple of hours, we had to hold ice packs to her bruises but last night, the doctors were happy with the outcome of the swelling going down and allowed the ice packs to come off.

My hand was holding hers, it felt delicate in my hand and I was almost worried that I could break it.

The others were sat on the other side, Micky was on his phone, I think he was texting his mum, and Noah was stroking Ella's cheek softly.

My heart jumps when Ella's hand twitches. Her eyes were blinking softly, she stared at us.

"Hey" Micky puts down his phone and holds onto her other hand gently.

"Els" I say gently when I see a tear trickle down her cheek. 

"It's all my fault" Her voice was quiet and raspy. The oxygen mask was still over her face when she spoke. "I shouldn't never had gone for a walk"

"It's not your fault, Els" Noah gently says to her. "You should of told us where you were going so then at least we could of watched your location"

"But it's ok. It's over now" Micky says, rubbing her temple and her hair. 

"She nearly killed me" Ella whispers, pain seeping into her voice.

"But she didn't. You're alive" I tell her, rubbing my thumb across the back of her palm.

"What happened?" She tried to angle her head to her chest, but Micky lifted her chin gently back onto the pillows.

"You had to have surgery on your wound. Then, they've cleaned up any other wounds. We've been sat here holding ice packs to your bruises, surprised it didn't wake you but the doctors said you were in a deep sleep. You are very weak, Ella. They've had to give you fluids to get your body stronger. The needle that she put in your neck has made you very weak and is the reason that you need fluids." Micky explains, slowly.

"Where's my dad?" Her voice cracks and we all know that she is holding tears in.

"He has popped home to get some of your things and have a shower" I tell her, stroking her hair away from her forehead. "It's going to be ok"

"We're going to take care of you, Ella" Micky whispers to her, Noah nodding in agreement.

"Where is mum?" She whimpers back, scared tone coming to her voice.

"I don't know Els, we have spoken to the police. We had to tell them everything. We asked them about that and they aren't allowed to tell us. But your dad might know, we're not sure"

"I'm really sorry" She whispers back, shutting her eyes and leaning back into the pillow behind her head.

"Els, you have no reason to say sorry" I tell her, reaching up to her face and tucking her light brown hair behind her small ear.

Her eyes open and she looks into my eyes, then to Micky and Noah.

"Thank you for being here. I love you guys with most of my heart" She chuckles under her breath, blinking but holding her eyes closed for a moment before opening them again.

"Hey, all of you heart" Noah laughs at her.

"Four people have my heart." She states. "You three and my dad" She smiles.

"Of course" We laugh, and it almost, almost feels normal. The four of us laughing is a daily thing.

The doctor suddenly appears through the doorway, and we all lean back to look at him. He comes closer.

"Good to see you awake Ella" He says, looking at her. He takes the clipboard and the end of her bed and looks at it. "Now, I guess the boys have told you what has happened to you?" He looks to us, and we all nod in return.

"Yeah" Ella says, gently but firm.

"Ok" He sighs. "They wouldn't of told you this, because we haven't told them yet. You going to stay in the hospital for a week or two then we will examine you before allowing you to go home."

"Ok" Ella whispers in defect.

"When your dad gets back, we'll take you to your bedroom." He pauses, thinking. "Ella, getting back to your daily life is going to be difficult. And you're going to need to do therapy to regain your energy." He tells her, as I watch a tear fall from her eye.

"Is it going to hurt?" Ella asks, wiping her tear with her finger.

"It may hurt at the beginning but we have people helping you to do that. Over time, you will feel normal. However, we are unsure how long it will take. We just need to be patient, and don't go too fast. Your body needs time and it's not something to rush"

"Ok, will do" Ella whispers. "My chest really hurts"

"That's normal after surgery. We did numb you but you were asleep so you didn't feel it then but now the feeling is coming back" He sighs. "I can give you something but it'll be a needle"

"That's fine, as long as it's not my neck" Ella says with a small chuckle.

"Definitely not!" The doctor laughs slightly before walking around the bed, towards Ella.

I watched them, in hope that our Ella would be back to normal soon. And never silent again...

'end of 40.'

double update... :) 

Posted: 22.7.22