Something Terrible Happened

Start from the beginning

"NO!" I cut off Asher. My outburst attracts attention, but upon seeing nothing incredibly interesting, the students carry on with whatever mindless activities they were up to.

For a brief second, I allow myself to envy their ignorance and I wish that things could just go back to how they used to be. Yes, my life was miserable and I didn't have friends, but everyone was safe. Ben was still alive and so was Trixie and neither my life nor Asher's was under any threat.

Then again, if none of it happened, I wouldn't have found out about aunt Natasha and my mother, I wouldn't be privileged to hang out with and get to know the Devil himself, I wouldn't have met Raphael and I wouldn't have the amazing company of Cherry, Nat, Audrey, Asher, Allen and Anthony.

However, would I give up all my newly attained luxuries if it guaranteed everyone's safety? In a heartbeat, I would. I'd give it up and I'd do it again.

"Whoever this person is, he just threatened you and you expect me to just shove it aside as though it means nothing? I can't do that." I shake my head, my eyes stinging as they fill up with tears. "I just can't," I murmur.

"Your safety was also threatened and I can't leave you," Ash insists but I shake my head.

"I'll be fine as soon as I can find Sam."

At the mention of Sam's name, Asher clenches his jaw ever so slightly, and I notice his mood drop significantly. Allen and Tony grimace as though they have been hit in the nuts.

It's surprising. In a time like this, they are still concerned about my relationship with Sam? One would think a little threat will set their priority straight. One would think wrong.

"So, Sam is trusted to protect you, and I'm not?"

"No offense, Asher, but yes. I need to know you are safe and the only way you can be safe is if you stay far away from me," I roughly pull away from Ash and I notice the hurt in his eyes.

He inhales deeply and rolls his tongue in his mouth, not seeming to grasp the gravity of the situation.

"Why? Why do you trust him so much with everything? He's also a teenager just like me so why do you trust him with your life and not me?"

Because he's the Devil, hence he possesses supernatural strength and speed and can easily fly me away from any danger, though when I am with him, the only danger I fear is the direct wrath of God Himself.

"Now, now, Ash," we are surprised by none other than Sam himself. I turn around to find him standing behind Ash and me.

From the corner of my eyes, I notice Tony and Allen step aside to give us some privacy and I turn my full attention to Sam, using all of my self-restraint to keep myself from reaching out to him and wrapping my arms around him in a hug.

The last thing I want is to upset Asher further and push him as far from me as I can.

"You should mind your tone, lest one would think you are envious of me... Not that I can blame you for that. I mean, look at me!" Sam gestures to himself, clad in white as usual. "I'm better than you in any way you can think of." He finishes off with a wink that only seems to aggravate Asher further.

"Sam!" I criticize, but he pays no attention to me.

"What is your endgame, Sam Light?" Asher steps forward, putting himself between Sam and me as though Sam is the threat here.

"Funny you should ask." Sam brushes locks of hair away from his forehead, an action that is so simple, yet he does it so elegantly and fluidly. "However, I don't care enough about you to answer your question. Oh!" Sam snaps his fingers. "If you both are going to have sex again, I'll suggest you make use of a condom. It's not really that hard to make use of. I can't have you ruin her youth with a baby she is not mentally prepared to handle."