Chapter IX - Emergency mission

Summary:

The hashiras are all called for an emergency meeting. Tomioka and Iguro get a mission together, have a little date until sunset. Then they had to start to find the demon.

□■□■□■□■□■□

How peaceful it was. Some of the hashiras were in the garden, in the kitchen, or the room with futons, but no one was alone. Kocho was with Tomioka, Kanroji with Uzui and Rengoku, Shinazugawa with Iguro, and Himejima with Tokito.

Then they heard the front door getting opened, seeing some Kakushis standing outside. "Hashiras, there is an emergency pillar meeting in 20 minutes. The master orders you all to be present at the Ubuyashiki Estate."

This message was told among the pillars fast and everyone got ready. Their uniform, as well as their swords on their belt, and their haoris.

Not even five minutes in, they were ready to head off. Due to their speed, they arrived at the headquarters very quickly, and still had about 5 - 10 minutes left before the meeting started.

All the hashiras took these minutes to get comfortable with their surroundings.

After some time, Master Ubuyashiki came out of the estate with his daughters. The pillars kneeled, Shinazugawa asked how the master was doing. Oyakata-Sama said he was fine, and soon they discussed the current situation.

"My dear children, recently there have been three places where strong demons were seen. The slayers that survived these areas all said, that the demons were one of the twelve Kizuki. We have already sent many Kinoe ranked slayers, but many lost their lives already. I suppose this is something for the pillars." Ubuyashiki explained. Everyone approved before he continued.

"Judging on what the surviving Kinoe slayers said, it would be smart if we di duo pairs. For the first place, ******, I want Kanroji Mitsuri and Rengoku Kyojuro to look out for that demon." The love and flame hashira immediately agreed of course.

"For the second place, *****, I need Tomioka Giyuu and Iguro Obanai to go there." These two agreed as well, also getting the glares and looks of 'this is not gonna end well' from the other hashira but little did they know, it would be completely different.

"For the last one at *****, I need Tokito Muichiro and Shinazugawa Sanemi." The wind pilar immediately agreed, the mist pillar did too, without noticing.

After the meeting, everyone got into their pairs. "Let's go Tomioka, I want this to be done as fast as possible," Iguro said in an annoyed tone. Giyuu didn't say anything and they headed off. "I wonder if their mission is gonna end well," Shinobu said.

A little while later, the serpent and water pillar arrived at the village. "Now we're alone. We're lucky that Oyakata-Sama paired us together!" Obanai said happily. "You're not wrong. Wanna eat something before sunset? We haven't eaten breakfast yet." Tomioka asked. Iguro agreed and they went to a near restaurant. There was still about a little more than one hour left until sunset.

They went to a small restaurant. It was nicely decorated, and very traditional too. "Hello, may you give your order?" The waitress asked. "I'll have some fugo slices mixed with rice and wasabi on top as well as a jasmine milk tea," Iguro said. "Noted, and what may be your order?" Tomioka still thought for a second before answering: "Avocado-Salmon sushi with vegetables garnish and blueberry green tea." He answered. The waitress wrote the orders down and went away.

"I didn't expect you to eat fugo. Be careful and check the slices before eating them." Giyuu said. "Don't worry I will. I don't wanna die yet." Iguro said with a small laugh at the end.

After 10 minutes a waiter came with the food and drinks they ordered. Both hashiras prayed and then started to enjoy their food. "Hm, it's good that it's an exclusive restaurant. With walls for privacy, surprising for a village." Obanai said, "Good, no one can see my scar and judge me." Giyuu looked up to his boyfriend, right in the eyes with a glare. "Don't say that, you're beautiful inside and outside." The water pillar responded. A small blush appeared on the serpent hashiras face. "...Thank... you, Yuu." He said. "Oh, isn't a city nearby? Then it's wouldn't be surprising for this restaurant to exist." Tomioka asked and Iguro nodded.

They finished their food after about 30 minutes, with about 20 minutes left until sunset. Both paid for the meals and left the restaurant to go to a small souvenir store. It was so surprising to see such kinds of shops in a small village but they soon found out that the village was like the 'memory' part of the city nearby, where tourists usually go at the end of their journey to the city.

Tomioka found rings there, labeled as couple rings. He thought that he could maybe buy some for Obanai and himself. Soon, he found a good-looking pair of rings. The rings had a heart. Tomioka's ring's heart had one side that was a faint yellow, the other teel, just like the serpent hashiras eyes. The one for Obanai was blue, but in a marble texture, like the water, representing Giyuu's eyes and his breathing. They each cost 765 yen, Tomioka was ready to pay for that. After all, the hashiras are the only ones in the corps that can decide on their own how much money they get, so he was rich. Though he doesn't even ask for that much money a month.

Iguro on the other hand was in the clothes section. "Excuse me, which fabric are the haoris made of?" Iguro asked a worker. "They are all made of bamboo, silk, or cotton! If you want a specific design, we can start making those. They will be finished between tonight or tomorrow, depending on the design." The worker said, Iguro thought about it and remembered that Giyuu had a yukata at the water estate, which was completely over. "How much would two haoris cost, where one is blue with a purple outline and the other white with a dark blue outline, both made out of bamboo?" Obanai asked. "They would be finished tomorrow midday and would cost each 935 yen." They said. Iguro knew it was expensive, though he only used half of the money he got last month, so he had more than usual. Buying something like that wouldn't hurt much anyways. "I would like that. I will come back tomorrow midday." Iguro said and waved goodbye.

"You're finished too, Yuu?" Obanai asked as he saw his boyfriend walking out of the shop too. "Yeah, I got these rings here." Giyuu got them out, and Iguro immediately released what the references were. He wanted to take a closer look, but Tomioka was faster and pulled Iguros hand closer to him, putting on the ring. "Yuu... this feels like a proposal..!" Obanai stated embarrassed. Giyuu laughed. "Do you want it to be one? Maybe in the future." Now Iguro was a blushing mess.

Even though they had an adorable moment, the sun was setting. Both calmed down and started to get cautious.

After some time, they realized something. "Hey, Yuu, don't you think something is wrong here?" Iguro asked. No answer. "Hm? Yuu? Why aren't you answeriー Giyuu?! Where are you!?" Obanai wondered worriedly. Tomioka was just... gone. He doesn't know where he went to. Looking around the village, not even one trace of the water hashira.

Then, there was a shadow. The shadow turned into two shadows. The two shadows into three... Soon the shadows turned into three demons, standing in front of the serpent hashira. All of them have a symbol inside their eyes, 上弦 肆, symbolizing uppermoon four, known as Hantengu.

"Three!? No, this has to be a blood art, they look all very similar... Giyuu, where are you..?" Iguro mumbled to himself. "What? Frustrated?" One of the demons asked, the serpent pillar was calm. "Karaku, come out." Another one of the demons said. Coming out of a dark corner, a fourth demon showed up carrying something... or rather... someone.

"Is this your friend?" Karaku asked. Iguro was shocked. He was carrying Tomioka...

□■□■□■□■□■□

Story words: 1336
Complete chapter words: 1449

Chapter IX start: 04/19/2022
Chapter IX end: 04/23/2022
Published: 04/23/2022

Inspiration: nothing again exept for the ring part- Water Serpent by Wolflove1o1 on Ao3 (ObaGiyuu) or Lust by SmpSimp2 here on Wattpad (SaneObaGiyuu)
Check them out :D

Written by: Masumi Sensu
Grammar checked by: Masumi Sensu
Check read by: Masumi Sensu

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! See you in the next one and have a good day/night! ♡