CHAPTER #17

Because of gas prices, Qihe and Jiayi took transit to school on Monday. Even though Qihe knew she could protect herself, he still was watchful and caught a businessman trying to take pictures with his cell, under her skirt. First he grabbed the cell phone out of the man's hand, then pulled her in front of him.

To the whole bus, he announced, "this man is a pervert and took pictures of my girlfriend!"

Jiayi spun around, "he did WHAT?!"

The other transit people began bullying the man, until he rushed off the bus, leaving his phone in Qihe's possession. He showed Jiayi the pictures and then deleted them.

"We should give his phone to the police. Change his passcode to a bunch of zeros. He's got pictures of other school girls on here."

"Most are from our school too," Qihe agreed.

"Next stop is ours," Jiayi announced and then kissed him for everyone to see. "Mafia Boy thank you for saving me from a perv."

"I'll send a copy of his info to my mom.  I wouldn't mind kicking his ass myself though."

They exited the transit bus and began heading to school. They still hadn't made it past the gate, when a sudden rain storm opened up the skies. Both got completely soaked.

"Even my underwear is wet, today isn't my day." Qihe complained and then looked over to his girl. "You're shirt is see-through now too. I like that lace bra."

"Damn, I didn't bring a change of clothes, since gym is tomorrow."

"Wear your backpack in front and when we get to the lockers, I'll give you my school jacket."

"But then what will you wear?"

"I'll just go to the washroom, take off my shirt and wring it out in the sink. It should dry okay and I have my track pants to change into."

"Okay. I'll wring out my socks before going into the building."

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

During homeroom, they saw other students who'd obviously been caught in the rain too and had no umbrella. It was in math class that Jiayi noticed Qihe's face was really flushed. He was sleeping on the desk and so she gently touched his forehead.  He had a fever and it seemed really hot, alarming her.

Standing up to get the professor's attention, Jiayi explained, "Qihe has a bad fever sir. Can I get help taking him to the nurse?"

A guy that was one of Qihe's gang members stood up and volunteered. Together they carried him to the nurse. On the way she asked the guy to call Lu He. The nurse didn't like the number that came up on the head thermometer.

"A few people seem to have become ill today. Put this fever patch on his head and use a cold pack with one of these cloths. If you can find a way to get him home or to his doctor, that would be best." The nurse checked Jiayi's temperature and they both were relieved she wasn't sick too.

Jiayi's cell rang and she answered it. "Hi Lu He, did you drive to school today?"

"Yes. I'll come pick you two up shortly, I've got a spare next period."

"I'll let the nurse and office know, thanks." She ended the call and reported what he said.

The nurse nodded, "I'll inform the office and your teachers.  If his fever goes up, take him to the hospital emergency department."

"I will, thank you."

"I have to go help another student, just sign out in this log book what time you leave, if I'm not back shortly."

"Yes ma'am."

In the end the nurse had not returned, by the time Lu He arrived. He came into the school to help Jiayi move his brother to the car. He had a bunch of cold and flu remedies he'd picked up at the pharmacy on his way over. Those he gave to Jiayi to carry, as he piggy-backed his twin. Once in Qihe's apartment, Lu He stripped and changed his brother, while Jiayi prepared an immunity boosting ginger tea.

"His temperature is high, but not scary bad. Keep an eye on it, call me if he gets worse."

"Thank's Lu He, I'll keep you posted."

Jiayi knew to have some of the medicine to fight the flu, Qihe would have to eat something. She decided to make cooked daikon radish with chicken congee. She also found a recipe for soy beans cooked with coriander. Online it said peppermint-licorices root tea was good too. While that simmered on the stove, Jiayi went to check on Qihe. He was still sleeping, but when she changed the medical patch, his temperature had reduced slightly. Getting a tub with ice water, she wiped down his arms and chest.

Once the food was ready, Jiayi woke him up and slowly fed the porridge to him, before giving the medicine pills. He lay back down, weak from the effort and went back to sleep. Two hours later he threw up, but it was in the bagged waste bin and not the bed. Jiayi cleaned up it and him, before putting a new bag in the bin. Since he couldn't eat, she just focused on keeping him cool and hydrated. Lu He visited with Zan, after school ended, but neither stayed long.  All evening and into the early AM, Jiayi remained vigilant at Qihe's side. The following day repeated the same routine, but by the third evening, Qihe's fever broke.  Although weak, he could eat the congee and keep it down.

"I'm okay now, you should sleep." Qihe told her.

"You sleep, I'll rest later."

"How about we sleep side by side? You have dark circles under your eyes, which tells me you haven't had enough rest yourself."

"Okay, whomever wakes up first, orders food." She got under the covers and shortly went to sleep.

He used the head thermometer that was on the nightstand, to make sure Jiayi hadn't become ill now too. Qihe was relieved to see she wasn't sick.  He remembered waking up frequently while being sick and each time she'd been by his side. His love for her just kept growing.  In the past when sick, other than having the doctor do house calls, no one took care of him.  He wasn't sure if Lu He would've done as much as her. She was like an angle, saving him for sickness and loneliness, all at once. When he was fully recovered he'd treat her to a spa day and dinner, just the two of them. Qihe felt that spoiling her was way overdue.