XVI - BOM DIA BAHIA

Start from the beginning

It didn't matter to either of them. He still fit in his clothes and she still got wet when she saw him naked. A win-win.

The soft sounds of the bossa nova playlist that she had curated were slipping out of the speaker, transporting the pair to a time a half century ago where the sound was actually new and gripped the planet by its neck.

She felt his presence although his steps had been soundless and turned her head to acknowledge him. A grin split the visage from left to right, and that sight alone made made the money he spent on the trip worth it.

It had been the first time she had left the country she was born in, even though she had roots that started elsewhere. Her parents could never quite afford to take her back to Hispaniola.

She had travelled under an alias, a passport that bore the name of a woman who didn't exist, but was defined by her picture.

It was a celebration for her passing the driving test. Her lessons had started in late August, and the crash courses paid off. She had successfully passed by November, and was now the proud owner of a Mercedes E Class. The exact specs that the bald and slightly sweaty salesman had reeled off escaped her. All she knew was that it was black and fast.

The car was another gift, for her bringing in and closing on her first deal.

This had come about after a game of chicken spanning days, but she had an idea she wanted to see through. It was kind of a racket but not really.

An acquaintance of hers made her aware that there was a man in need of their assistance, that was not exactly a known friend of the group. His name was Elijah. He was a jewels dealer. He needed help transporting a shipment from the Mexican Border to the east coast by road, but had been compromised by a friend turned foe, and now several adversaries had been expecting it. They had pinch points ready at all feasible routes to his destination and he had a deadline; so could not afford to extend the trip to allow for the scenic route to be taken.

Only thing was that Elijah had been involved with Fabio, and his unsophisticated dealings. Fabio had spread lies about Elijah after he unceremoniously pulled out, saying he threatened the lives of several people in the organisation, Angelo included. Angelo wasn't worried about the threats, but didn't want to get involved. Vanessa saw a foray into a proverbial gold mine. So she gave it some thought and hammered out the details.

They would use service vehicles. Ambulances, cop cars, fire trucks and so on. The cop cars would be able to do the longest distances undisturbed, and then when within city limits, they would discreetly hand over to a vehicle that people are used to seeing, driving him haste with lights flashing. It drew attention, but it didn't. No one would ever stop an ambulance or a fire truck in the city, as it most likely headed for an emergency.

The plan worked, and it became somewhat of a signature for both halves of the couple. Their payment? Aside from a sum that would cover the trouble and then some, they got a meeting with his supplier. And just like that they were into the jewellery market, being able to transport the precious stones all over the country with the use of Vanessa's ingenious plan.

A big whip only felt right to reward such hard work.

By this point, he had already replaced her body on the lawn chair and had her seated on his lap. He was making quick work of slipping her bikini bottoms to the side, trying to get something popping again. He could never get enough of this.

His thoughts were spinning out of control. He wanted to move forward with speed. Be married and have children on the way by this time next year. She didn't. She hoped start doing online school part time, something to ground the knowledge she had collected over the last few months.