Chapter thirteen || Tough decisions

Começar do início

"So have you decided how you are going to deal with this?" 

"I don't know mom. Do I just forget everything that happened between us, or what happens if he leaves again? I can't have him come into the boy's lives just to leave again." 

"I know Abby...but he's their father, and now that he knows I expect he will want to be in their lives." 

I glance over at the couch where the boys have fallen asleep watching Disney movies. Their half eaten bowls of soup resting on the coffee table. Nathan would have to be stupid to know he has kids and not want to get to know them. 

"You have to at least consider it he is their father after all." 

I don't say a word and neither does she. I have one of the biggest decisions to make, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to make it yet. "I have to go your brother has a game soon." 

"Bye mom love you." 

"Bye Abigail." The call ends and I'm left standing in the kitchen with the biggest decision to make. 

The days go by slow; I watch movies with the boys. I have cleaned the floor five times today, the thing about four-year old's is they don't understand that when you are sick you need to go to the bathroom to throw up. 

By the time six rolls around we are all exhausted, so they go to bed early and I go to the kitchen to stress bake. Baking is like my own personal therapy, when I need to think or life's getting to be too much to handle baking is always the solution. 

Right now, I'm experimenting something new. It's a mix of strawberry pie, and strawberry shortcake. It's also the perfect excuse to come up with my future menu. 

My phone rings as I'm pulling my cake pie out of the oven. A number I haven't seen in a while pops up on the screen. For once he's the one calling me instead of the other way around. "Hello..."

"Abby, you picked up?" He sounds shocked. 

"Unlike some people I actually pick up my phone calls." 

"Ouch that's harsh." 

I felt like saying it's only the truth. But instead, I stay quiet cutting a piece of my new creation. If he wants harsh I can be harsher. "Did I miss the boys?" 

"They were exhausted so I already put them to bed." 

Taking a bite of the sweet treat, and it tastes like heaven in my mouth. A moan escapes me, a moan that Nathan catches onto." "Are you baking?" 

"What?" 

He pauses, "well I assume you are baking right?" 

"You would be correct." 

"What did you make this time?" Why is he so interested in my baking all of the sudden? "I'm calling it strawberry surprise." 

"What's so surprising about it?" 

"That's a secret," I take another bite waiting for him to bring up the real reason he called me. 

"So...look I know I'm a shit excuse for a human being." Here it comes, "I should have picked up the phone multiple times, in fact I almost did this one time I—"

"Did you call me just to tell me how you should have picked up your phone?" 

"No, I want to be a part of your life a part of theirs too. Only if you want me to be that is, I know I'm not exactly your favorite person." Well at least he's got one thing right. 

I have been waiting for this day for years, for him to call back to step up and want to be a part of their lives. Yet I don't want to force him into anything, and right now that's what it feels like. Fatherhood isn't something that comes easily. "Nathan, you do understand what you would be getting yourself into?" 

"Yeah..." I highly doubt that. He doesn't know one this about being a parent. All the all-nighters, diaper changes, and being there for them when they needed me the most. 

"Being a parent isn't an easy job. Kids aren't like animals they need a lot more attention and care." 

"Abby, I know...I know and I don't care I want this." 

"Nathan..." I'm at a loss of words. He does that to me makes my brain and mouth work at different times. "I have to know you aren't going to leave again? It won't just be me you are leaving behind this time." 

The silence on his side of the line scares me, for a moment I think he's ended the call. "I'm not exactly leaving anytime soon. Not at all for that matter." What does that mean? He doesn't go into detail and I don't press the subject. 

"The matter is I want to be a part of your lives. All you have to do is say yes." 

I want more than anything to say yes, however I'm conflicted how do I know I can trust him? "I would like to start tomorrow if that's ok with you? We could meet for breakfast?" 

Yes.

No.

I don't know...

I struggle with what to say, normally I would know how to deal with a situation like this. Mom seems to think I should give Nathan another chance to prove myself. I'm just scared of getting hurt again. But if we are going to make this work breakfast is the perfect place to start. 

"Ok, tomorrow at eight?" 

"That's fine with me." I can practically hear his excitement through the phone. "Good see you then. And Nathan..." 

"Yes?" 

"Don't make me regret this." 

He doesn't answer , and I end the call. Hoping I won't regret letting him into my life again, I'm not doing it for me though I'm doing it for the boys. I don't want to be the reason they don't get a chance to have a relationship with their father. I open my messages and text my mom. 

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲: 𝐈 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐞. 𝐢'𝐦 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐜𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭. 

𝐌𝐨𝐦: 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭! 𝐆𝐨 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐨𝐤? 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐮𝐩 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭. 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Abby's finally ready to give Nathan a chance to get to know his kids how do you think it will go? I can't wait for y'all to read the next chapter! It's adorable in so many ways. 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Wednesday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks