41

Shang JunLin: ...

"The noble monarch always says the most astonishing things."

That was what he said, but Shang JunLin's thoughts couldn't help following down the path Shen Yu described. If Shen Yu really did have his child in his stomach...

Shen Yu only said it casually and had no idea how many waves this random remark set off in Shang JunLin's mind. Shen Yu rubbed his slightly swollen stomach and continued to walk.

The weather was gradually warming. People who'd been huddled at home all winter began to go out and visit their friends. That wasn't true just for commoners but for aristocratic families as well.

The King of Li finally finished transferring his royal authority. On a beautiful, breezy afternoon he visited the imperial palace.

After handing over the tokens of his princely rank, the King of Li's entire body relaxed. As he stood opposite Shang JunLin, he finally felt like talking a little about family matters from the past.

"Lately this servant has been reflecting on the things I've done. This servant caused Your Majesty a lot of trouble over the years. Now that this servant has given up the shackles of being the King of Li, I feel like I've returned to myself. It's truly a blessing for myself and my wife."

Power is, and always has been, a double-edged sword. For everything you gain, you also lose something. Maybe some people have the ability to maintain their original selves despite the distortions of power, but it's far more common to lose yourself.

When the King of Li took stock of his possessions, he realized just how many mistakes he'd made over the years. The things he said he did for Shang JunLin's good were, in fact, only to satisfy his own selfish desires.

"This servant used to think Your Majesty needed a sweetheart to accompany you. Because of my wife, this servant thought the daughter of the Qian family would be a good choice for Your Majesty. This servant thought that if I sent the Qian family's daughter to Your Majesty, Your Majesty would be like this servant is...."

At first, the reason the King of Li wanted to give his niece to Shang JunLin wasn't to raise the Qian family's status. It was simply because he wanted Shang JunLin to have someone who could support him. Later, his pure intentions became more and more corrupted by selfish thoughts.

"No matter how good the daughter of the Qian family is, this emperor doesn't like her." Shang JunLin stated the facts calmly.

"This servant knows. This servant is glad that Noble Monarch Shen, who was randomly chosen to enter the palace, is able to stand at Your Majesty's side. Feelings aren't something people can control. This servant has been confused for too long. It's only now that I understand. Everyone has their own fate, and neither this servant nor the Qian family can force it."

The King of Li sighed deeply. "This servant sent people to investigate the Qian family's affairs and will hand over the results. How to deal with them is entirely up to Your Majesty. Your Majesty doesn't have to be merciful to them outside the law for this servant's sake. In the end, they should receive what their situation merits. None of it can be separated from this servant's blind indulgence."

If it wasn't for his support, the Qian family never would have grown so bold. Fortunately, he came to his senses in time, before the Qian family made an irreparable mistake. In the process they might break an arm, but they had a chance to keep their lives.

"The King of Li isn't afraid that Princess Consort Li will blame you?" Shang JunLin knew the two had a close relationship. It was why the King of Li looked after the Qian family and begged for mercy for them. They were the family of Princess Consort Li on her mother's side.