15

The palace servants who were waiting to the side fell to their knees. They never thought Noble Monarch Shen, who was always so gentle and good-tempered, would suddenly say such things. No one dared to look up at the emperor's face, but they all knew of his temperament. Noble Monarch Shen's words would certainly anger him.

What they didn't understand was why Shen Yu would dig his own grave. Everyone knew the emperor favored the noble monarch, but since ancient times there'd always been more than one beauty in the imperial harem. Shen Yu openly revealed his jealousy and made threats. Wasn't he bringing ruin on himself?

Mu Xi's forehead was covered with a thin layer of sweat. She restrained her fear and glanced up. Unfortunately, from her position she could only see the face of her young master, not the emperor's reaction.

In the sudden, oppressive silence, Meng Gonggong cautiously looked at the emperor's face. He felt a sudden jolt of astonishment.

—The man didn't look angry at all.

The emperor was gazing at Shen Yu, and there was still a smile on his lips. It was only when you looked at his dark eyes that you felt chilled to the bone.

Meng Gonggong felt more and more confused by the di son of the Zhenbei Marquis' family.

The two protagonists of this scene, who were being silently watched, didn't care what their attendants were thinking. Shen Yu looked at the handsome emperor in front of him, and in a voice as soft as an orchid, he said, "Does Your Majesty really wish to bring more people into the harem?"

"Why is my noble monarch so jealous?" Shang JunLin leaned closer to Shen Yu's ear. His voice was low and deep as he hinted, "If the noble monarch dispels this emperor's thoughts with practical actions, this emperor will comply with your request."

It was like they were discussing something trivial, not a major event like expanding the harem.

Shen Yu lowered his eyes, then he swept a glance at the kneeling palace servants. His gaze lingered on one of the young eunuchs for a while. When the emperor noticed something was wrong, Shen Yu looked away. "Does Your Majesty really want to proceed in front of these people?"

Shang JunLin took Shen Yu's waist and pulled him into his lap. He glanced at Meng Gonggong carelessly. "Meng Chang, send them out."

Meng Gonggong didn't dare to disobey. He bowed his head and ushered all the servants out.

After they left, Shen Yu loosened his grip on Shang JunLin's collar and tried to get up from Shang JunLin's legs.

The moment he moved, he felt the emperor's arms tighten around his waist. Shen Yu gave Shang JunLin a suspicious look. His eyes seemed to say: Everyone's gone. Shouldn't you let go of me now?

Unexpectedly, Shang JunLin not only didn't let go, he took Shen Yu into his arms, as if to reply, "Noble monarch, what do you mean?"

"Is Your Majesty dissatisfied with my performance?" Shen Yu glared at him. "I'm sure everyone in the capital is about to hear that Noble Monarch Shen, the recent entrant to the palace, is so jealous he actually threatened His Majesty not to allow new people into the harem.

"Your Majesty, how are you going to compensate me for my lost reputation?"

Shang JunLin lifted Shen Yu's chin and looked at him with deep eyes. "What form of compensation does the noble monarch want?"

"I'm tired of the treasures currently in Yuzhang Palace, Your Majesty...."

"You have quite an appetite."

Shang JunLin's words were accurate. Yuzhang Palace was the most gorgeously-decorated palace aside from the main palaces, and it was decorated with countless rare treasures. In terms of the degree of sumptuousness, it was even more magnificent than the emperor's own bedchambers.