34

Shen Yu thought about it. The cell in the dark prison wasn't especially clean. If he didn't take a bath before bed, he definitely wouldn't sleep well.

"I need to change my clothes too," Shen Yu commented.

"After washing, this emperor will change the noble monarch into clean clothes."

After speaking to Shen Yu, Shang JunLin turned and said, "Mu Xi, get a set of clean, comfortable clothes and a heavier cloak."

"Yes."

Meng Gonggong received the order in advance and had already gone to prepare the bathing place. He returned by the time Shang JunLin finished dressing Shen Yu.

"Your Majesty, it's ready."

Shang JunLin picked up Shen Yu, who was half asleep. "Is the floor heating ready also? The noble monarch can't stand the cold. Is the temperature in the room warm?"

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. I promise not to expose the noble monarch to the slightest chill."

"Your Majesty, aren't I going to bathe here?" Shen Yu heard Shang JunLin's orders. It didn't sound like he planned to stay in the bedroom.

"This emperor will take the noble monarch to another place. I'll carry you there. If you're sleepy, you can take a nap," Shang JunLin said in a low, soothing voice.

There was a special bath in the imperial palace, not far from Yuzhang Palace, where hot water was prepared in advance. The steps were made of white jade, and the air was dense with humid, sumptuous heat.

Shen Yu was carried in the man's arms, and only a portion of his mind was attentive to what was happening around him.

"Your Majesty, where are we?" Shen Yu asked in a quiet voice, looking at the completely unfamiliar scenery.

Shang JunLin was extremely patient tonight and answered every question. "It's a place to bathe."

"Your Majesty misled me. This isn't where I normally bathe at all," Shen Yu complained.

Shang JunLin gathered the person in his arms to avoid letting him be affected by the freezing wind. "This emperor didn't mislead you. The dark prison is gloomy and cold. This emperor took you to a place where you can soak in more hot water."

Shen Yu was suspicious. "Really?"

"Why are you so wary? Please explain, noble monarch, why would this emperor lie to you?" Shang JunLin lifted his eyebrows.

At the moment, Shen Yu was dazed and particularly easy to tease.

Shen Yu thought about it with a hazy mind and didn't come up with an answer. "I don't know...."

"We're almost there. Don't fall asleep yet." At the moment, all the roiling negative emotions were far away from Shang JunLin. In his eyes and heart, all that remained was the man he was holding in his arms.

The distance from the bedchamber to the bath wasn't far. It took less than a quarter of an hour to walk.

Meng Gonggong went ahead of them and opened the door. Hot air spilled out from the opening.

"Your Majesty, do you want someone to stay here to serve you?"

"No need." Shang JunLin stepped through the door with Shen Yu in his arms, and the oncoming heat met his face.

The huge bath was entirely indoors. Knowing that Shang JunLin wanted to use it, Meng Gonggong ordered the palace servants to light the floor heating in advance. When Shang JunLin brought in Shen Yu, there wasn't the slightest hint of cold in the room.