Chapter 18: Situation Change

(45 minutes later, Luka's POV)

I had gone to the Atlas Academy, we were busy gathering the students inside. Everything was quiet, and the students were following instructions without question. I saw Winter put her finger on her earpiece.

"Yes sir?" She asked, after some time, she turned back to the academy with a worried look on her face. Something was not right.

"Damn!" She whispered.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"Someone walked into the school." She replied. I was surprised. I looked at the academy out of the corner of my eye before returning my gaze to Winter.

"Then go for it! I'll meet you later!" I ordered her, and without any hesitation, she dashed towards the academy. I looked around the building before I saw a figure at a window on the fifth floor.

"You, I'll take care of you." I said before heading to the academy.

(From the team KNRD side, Krystal's POV)

Everyone was called back. We were in a ship and we were heading back to the academy. We didn't know what was going on.

"I don't understand. Why would the General call us back without giving a reason?" Weiss asks us

"Especially with evacuations still going on in Mantle." Ren adds.

"The soldiers are still there, still evacuating civilians. I think we can go to Ironwood with peace of mind." Dragon tells us, trying to lighten the mood.

"Maybe, but that doesn't explain anything." Resare replies.

"You don't have to understand orders, kids. You just have to follow them." Elm said as she looked at us from her seat.

"Besides, Dragon's right. Civvy Transports won't be stopping anytime soon. If the General says he needs us now, he needs us now." Harriet adds.

"We'll go see the General. The rest of you, go get Oscar and join us." Night said to the others.

"I'm coming with you." Ruby told us. We let her come with us without trying to argue.

(In the General's office, Narrator's POV)

Ace Ops escorted the team KNRD and Ruby to Ironwood's office. The general was sitting in his seat, looking out the window.

"General Ironwood." Harriet called out to him. He turned and looked at the students. They all saw that his left arm was in a cast.

"What's going on?" Resare asked.

"We have made a critical error." He said before placing a chess piece on his desk. A Black Queen.

"The Black Queen was the symbol that Salem showed us before we lost everything. Her way of telling us that she was inside... That it was too late." He said. 

"We stopped Watts... We stopped Callows, but somebody was here. They put this in my office to tell me that... What if Manle was just a distraction?! What if it was just to draw us away from the academy to...to..."

"General, calm down. We're going to find whoever put this there and take care of them." Night told him in a reassuring tone.

"How do we know that wasn't part of their plan?!" The general replies, ignoring Night. "How do we know they didn't want us to bring people into Atlas by the thousands?" They ask us. No one knew what to answer.

"In trying to save everyone, we left ourselves more vulnerable." Vine said.

"General, you know us, we'll come up with a plan and we'll triumph!" Dragon said with determination. "Right, guys?" Faunus said to his equipped, who responded with a nod.