Chapter 5: First Mission, part 2

(Team KNRD's side, Narrator's POV)

The group followed Qrow and Clover into the mine. Night had his rifle in hand in case the Geist showed up.

"Say, don't you think you're overdoing it a little?" Dragon asks the young man.

"No, it's just in case." He replied.

"In case? In case or what?" Dragon asks in a mocking tone before a Centinel emerges from the wall and pounces on the faunus. Night only fires a round of Dust into the giant centipede's head, the shock of the round rings the Grimm. Night jumps into the air, turns his gun into a sword and stabs it into the skull of the monster, which dies under the blow.

"Just in this case." Night said to Dragon as she removed his weapon from the monster's body before turning it into a rifle and placing it on his shoulder, as Qrow and Clover looked on.

"What?" Night asks them.

"We didn't even see it coming." Clover replied. The group resumed its walk.

"Gotta say, I'm still not really used to working with other Huntesmen in the field." Qrow says to Clover.

"But you were on a team before, weren't you?" Clover asked him. Qrow sighed.

"Long time ago... I just found working alone tends to be for the best." He replied.

"Well, I think that's a shame" The Ace-Ops leader replied before catching up with Qrow, who had stumbled.

"Well, can't you stand anymore?" Dragon scoffs.

"Shut up. If I wanted to hear an asshole talk, I'd fart." Resare responds by slapping him on the back of the head.

"You're not nice..." Dragon complains as he rubs his head. Clover looks at the team KNRD before activating his earpiece.

"Alpha here, gimme an update." Clover says.

"The connecting ice tunnels seem clear. We should be approaching the actual mine any minute now." Vine replied.

(From Emerald and the JNR team)

On Emerald's side, the mine was much brighter. No dust in sight, only ice. The group followed Vine and Elm from a distance.

"This is so exciting! It feels like we're an actual huntsmen team!" Nora raves before looking at Ren. "I... um... like what you did with your outfit, Ren." She tells him.

"We should probably stay focused on the mission." Ren replied. Emerald laughed and hid her face.

"Hey that's not funny!" Nora complains

"From your perspective, no, but from mine, yes." Emerald replied, trying to stop herself from laughing.

"Children? A little quiet, please." Vine asks them in a soft tone.

"Bravo checking in. Hit a bit of a snag. There's been a cave-in in the main entrance. Not sure if it's recent or was caused by the original accident. Either way, we'll have to do a little problem solving." Harriet communicates via earbuds.

"Understood, let us know if you need anything." Clover replied. Emerald looked around. Nothing but ice. Ice as far as the eye could see and not a trace of Dust. The young woman stopped in front of a rockfall, under which a miner's hand was sticking out.

" That's... horrible..." Emerald mutters.

"Hey, Emerald, what's wrong?" Jaune asks her before seeing the buried corpse.

"Nothing. I'm okay." Emerald replies before joining the others.

"Are you sure?" Jaune asks as she joins him.