Chapter 16 - Blue Fire of the Stars

Start from the beginning

Gajeel stood in the center of the hurricane, acting as a lightning rod that sucked up majority of the storm caused by the Typhoon Brothers. With each strike, he flinched as electricity coursed through his body. Levy and Juvia stood as his guards, defending him from their attackers as he kept the storm at bay.

Gray and Erza faced the Explosion girl two on one. Powerful mages as they were, they still couldn't seem to land a hit on her as she danced around, glass shards whipping in a frenzy and shattering around their feet. Erza and Gray were doing all they could to dodge the deadly projectiles.

I turned back to my opponent and studied her.

'What are you?' I asked in mock curiosity. 'Some sort of rope mage?'

'Webs,' she snapped irritably. 'Spider webs.'

I chuckled, 'Gotcha. And, that big spider is sitting behind you because?'

'What?'

Spider Girl whirled around, blinking behind her confusedly. I grinned; you fell for it.

'Eta Carinae Blast,' I intoned, my hands flickering in the holy blue light of the stars.

Thrusting my fist outwards at Spider Girl as she turned back, eyes flashing with an anger that quickly changed to alarm as she raised her arms in defence. My burning impact hit her full on just as she cast up a defensive shield.

'Sticky board!' she chanted.

My spell slammed into a white webbed wall that glistened like a dew fall. The blue fire stuck fast and lingered in the web, Spider Girl stepping out from behind her barrier.

'Spider webs are astonishingly sticky,' she said with a smirk. 'All it took was a little, manipulation, to change it into a-''

Nova Storm!'

Winds exploded from my palms in a dark blue whirlwind, catapulting towards Spider Girl and blasting her back into the rocks. I followed after her at a steady jog, hands out in preparation. My boots steamed with every crunch of gravel, the smell of burning leather filling my nostrils.

'Blech,' Spider Girl spat dirt out. The side of her face was scraped with blood and one eye was shut in pain. Her clothes were torn up one side. 'That wasn't nice! I wasn't finished speaking!'

Unable to contain myself, I rolled my eyes. 'I'm sure it was your average evil villain speech. "I will defeat you and darkness will claim the earth." Yada, yada, yada.'

Spider Girl sweatdropped, 'That wasn't it at all.'

'That's all I heard.'

Growling lowly, Spider Girl pointed at me and a single thread shot out of her finger and headed straight for my chest. My hands instinctively burned bright blue with intense fire of the stars. I trained my eyes on the thread. It was six feet, four feet, two feet.

I twisted sideways as it shot past me, grabbing its length and burning it to a crisp. Azure fire raced up the web, zooming towards Spider Girl's hand. Narrowing her eyes, she dropped her end with a yelp.

Spider Girl shouted, shifting both hands out at me.

Dozens of thin white lines shot out from her open palms. They twisted around me before I could react, wrapping around me in a ribbon cage that glimmered with tiny droplets. My hands flared up and my legs tensed.

'Web needles!'

Spines shot out from everywhere; sharp, piercing threads aimed straight for my flesh. Just because I was a spirit, that didn't mean it wouldn't hurt like a trip to hell and back if I was caught in the crossfire. Besides, I didn't have the time to go back to the Spirit World.