Elizabeth Comiskey - Mentor

MEET ELIZABETH eacomiskey on WATTPAD

Rather than focusing on my writing in my undergraduate years, I studied religion and politics. I had to develop an interest in literature so I'd have something non-controversial to talk about at dinner parties. (Haha! Just kidding... Sort of.)

Despite the lack of formal training, the world has taught me a great deal about writing over the past several years. I started as a mommy blogger around 2010 but got tired of writing product reviews and recipes after a year or two. That was about the time that I discovered Nanowrimo and finished my first full-length novel. That novel (much revised and nearly doubled in length) became my first published work. It was the first in a three-book series with a micropress that focused on women who wrote speculative fiction. They picked up a fourth, stand-alone work as well.

In 2018, my story "Curmudgeon" won a Watty Award and I sold it as the first in a five-book series to Scarsdale Publishing—a midsized press in New York. They changed the title to "Some Monsters Never Die," and printed it in 2019. So far books 1,2, and 3 are published and 4 will be released this coming fall. Audio book production on the series has begun as well.

I've had several stories featured on Wattpad, was an ambassador's pick in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 Open Novella Contests, won the #SoloTravel contest sponsored in partnership with Marriott, and the Southwest Story-tellers on the Rise contest in 2021. In 2022, my novel, The Widow, Melody Scott won a Watty Award in the mystery/thriller category.

When I'm not reading or writing, I'm tending to a brood of children, a dog, a cat, a snake, and three guinea pigs. My daughter and I do competitive chalk art events. She wins frequently. I never have. I love junk food, Supernatural, Converse sneakers, and all things Addams Family.

VISIT ELIZABETH'S PROFILE TO SEE HER WISH LIST