Workshop 1 (cont) - Character Arcs

A character arc is the journey of a character over the course of a story

A character arc is the journey of a character over the course of a story. A compelling character arc has a character facing fears and overcoming challenges as the story unfolds, often resulting in the character's personal growth. Character arcs usually progress in tandem with the story arc. Learning how to construct a strong character arc can turn a good character into a great character and improve your story in the process.

4 Types of Character Arcs

1. Transformational arc is a character arc in which the main character goes from being a regular person to a hero over the course of the story. This type of character arc is associated with epic stories and the archetypal hero's journey story structure. Examples include Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter.

2. Positive change arc is similar to a transformational arc but usually not quite as dramatic. A positive arc requires that a character experience positive change over the course of a story. Characters generally start out with negative outlooks or characteristics and develop a positive worldview by the end of the story. Examples include Ebenezer Scrooge and The Grinch.

3. Negative change arc involves a character starting out as good or benevolent and descending into evil or ill intent over the course of a story. An example of this would be Michael Corleone in The Godfather, who starts as a squeaky clean army veteran with a good reputation despite being from an organized crime family. By the end of the story, Michael finds himself at the head of the crime family, consumed by a bloodthirsty need to maintain power and control.

4. Flat or static character arc is a much less common form of character arc and can mostly be found in action and thriller stories. Examples include Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones, who remain emotionally stoic and highly capable regardless of the danger they find themselves in.

Tips For Outlining a Character Arc

Now that you have an understanding of character arcs and the categories most character arcs fall into, it's time to think about how you might outline the arcs of your characters and flesh out their development.

👉 Consider the story's genre: Genre often helps determine the way your character arcs will unfold. If you're writing a tragedy, your protagonist will most likely undergo a negative arc—ending the story at a much lower point than where they began. If you're writing a hero's journey, you'll probably have a character change to meet the demands put on them and follow a transformational arc.

👉 Identify each major character's role in the story: The role a character plays will help determine the direction the protagonist's arc will go. A good story generally has a strong set of well fleshed out characters in addition to the protagonist. Knowing each of the characters' roles will help inform what the protagonist needs and what shape their arc will take.