Workshop 1 - Character Worksheet

If you're interested in getting feedback on your main character, please submit your homework using the worksheet below. We have also shared this worksheet in the workshop-homework channel on our discord server. 

Please submit all 4 sections of the homework at once. Remember, the max character count for a discord post is 2,000. If your homework exceeds this count, you will need to share it in more than one post. Have your homework ready to post back to back so it doesn't get separated in the feed. You will need to include spoilers so the folks providing feedback have the whole picture.

Story Title:

Genre:

1 - The Introduction

The character is living fully in their identity, for better or worse. Their wound, false belief, and fears are holding them back. The purpose of this stage is to introduce the protagonist(s) and create empathy for them (victim, in jeopardy, likable, funny, highly skilled, etc.). Readers should see the character "stuck" in their life and/or identity.

Example: JJ works as a roadie for a band while secretly longing to be the star. But their stage fright and nervous stutter keeps them on the fringes, and they use humor to combat the emotional and physical toll it takes on them.

Homework: Follow the example we've offered here and summarize your main character's personality traits, dreams, ideals, and challenges. If you're able to find a brief excerpt from your story that illustrates this, you may share that. (1 to  2 paragraphs)

2 - Turning Point Act One (10% - 25% mark): Opportunity & Change of Plans

An event occurs that creates intrigue in the character. This can be a glimpse of their longing; a desire to be their true self. This is the first opportunity for them to face their fear, and they run from it instead. As life goes on, another event occurs with a specific (visible) goal and end point. The character's external pursuit of the goal begins. The goal has to be something the character can't fully achieve while living their current identity.

Example: A backup singer becomes ill and the band desperately searches for a replacement. JJ remains quiet, hating themselves for it. At the last minute, someone is found, but the singer's drug addiction surfaces during the concert, ruining the show. The band opens up auditions, and JJ is encouraged by their friend to try out. JJ knows their stutter needs to be dealt with, but they've always been embarrassed to go to speech therapy. They use this opportunity as motivation to finally do it.

Homework: Follow the example we've offered here and summarize your MC's first opportunity; their first taste of something they desire. Do they take a bite or do they run from it? Then tell us what happens next. Do they set a goal to achieve what they desire? Does an opportunity present itself and they pursue it? What do they have to change to make it happen? Are they even aware that they need to change? (1 paragraph)

3 - Turning Point Act Two (50% mark): Point of No Return

The character must do something to show they're committed to the goal, and they get a glimpse of what their life would be like if they honored their true self. Even though the outside world is starting to close in, most of the character's vacillation ends at this point and they steadily move toward their true self.

Example: With only one therapy session under their belt, JJ auditions for the band and gets the gig. Now their fears are staring them right in the face, and their stutter returns with a vengeance. But there's no time for panic attacks. This was what they've wanted all their life. They sing in their first show, and despite a few hiccups, it goes well. Sadly, they spend the rest of the night throwing up with a nervous stomach and rethinking the decision they made.

Homework: Follow the example we've offered here and summarize your MC's point of no return. What convinces them that they need to pursue this goal at all costs? What obstacles are they facing, and how are they tackling them? (1 paragraph)

4 - Turning Point Act Three (75% - 95% mark): Major Setback & Climax

An "all is lost" event occurs. This event can be the result of the character getting scared and retreating, or the event can cause the character to retreat. The character attempts to hide behind their mask again. Often a sidekick character will point out how they're stuck. The character must face their fear/foe one final time. Their wound and/or false belief should make another appearance here. Ultimately, they embrace their true self, which allows them to earn their success. The character is transformed and the reader gets a glimpse of their new post-journey life.

Example: A huge gig is coming up, and the band has given JJ a solo. Despite the ongoing speech therapy, JJ is nearly paralyzed with fear. They fake an illness, abandoning the band one day before the show. Their friend finds JJ and takes them to a comedy club to cheer them up. JJ's humor impresses the owner, and JJ finds themselves on stage telling jokes in front of an audience. They call on their courage and the skills they learned in therapy. JJ overcomes their fear and knocks 'em dead at the concert the next night. An agent talks to JJ after the gig and offers to represent them.

Homework: Follow the example we've offered here and summarize what happens to your MC when they face a major setback. Do they push through it? Do they run? How do they overcome the final obstacles blocking their way to success? Are they the one who unblocks them, or is their path unblocked for them? What have they accomplished by the end of the story, and how are they different from the character we met at the introduction? (1 paragraph)

That's it! We look forward to reading about your MC's journey. See you in the character workshop channel on discord.